• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Traction ?

Craftybigdog

Hey guys I have a JD 317 and I was wondering what can I do so when I work in a yard its not marking it up to bad. I dont like all the ruts or how it tears up the grass, any suggestions or should I accept it? Thanks

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
You won't do much about the ruts if the ground is soft, but you can minimize scuffing up the turf by making multi-point turns. Some call these K turns, but you'd make a series of less agressive turns to accomplish getting around a corner rather than just making the turn in one swing. Be aware that you can damage hot blacktop too, or blacktop in poor condition. You'll need to take the same precautions there too.

cat320

Charter Member
I think the key to not tearing up the yard is doing as Steve described. even tracks would tear it up if turned very agresively. By they way Jason how is the new machine have you had any jobs to test it out yet?

Craftybigdog

I love the machine, its a moose. I think I need to get the suitcase weights though. I can lift the rear end up if I fill the bucket up. Now for snow removal, I love it a real timesaver over a truck. I do like the bobcat cab better though. I have a bid out right now on flower bed install and if I get it the skid will really help out. Thanks for the input guys!