• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tractor In Oz.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
A mate of mine rebuilt and still operates this tractor from the 1970's. Does anyone here on the forum know what it is?

Rn'R.

Attachments

• 1 Upton.jpg
    1 Upton.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,870
  • 2 Upton.jpg
    2 Upton.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,711

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator
no idea, if I guesed I would say either somthing from accgo ore a stiger!

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
thats interesting...judging by the front axle it was never meant to be a field tractor

it has to be some kind of Australian make...i have never seen anything that even looks like it here in the states

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Upton MT-855

You are on the money, bruce oz, it is an Upton MT-855. This tractor originally had a Hercules engine in it, but it lacked a bit in power, so Upton replaced the Hercules with a turbo Cummins NTC 290. One of the previous owners tweaked the Cummins up to 330 hp and the tractor produces 300 drawbar hp. The engine drives through a 24 speed Spicer gear box to a six tonne rear axle taken from a fairly large Terex wheel loader, because the original axles were failing. The front axle is taken from a Diamond T truck and the tractor weighs 16 tonnes. There were only a bit over 30 of these tractors produced and I think only two of the bigger model, the 14/350, by Upton at Corowa in New South Wales during the 1970's. This tractor was used for pulling an air seeder but now it is mainly used for pulling a twenty tonne stone roller for breaking down limestone country, which we have plenty of here.
Here are a few more pics.

Rn'R.

Attachments

• Upton 3.jpg
    Upton 3.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 1,690
  • Upton 7.jpg
    Upton 7.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 2,410
  • Upton  4.jpg
    Upton 4.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 1,547
  • Upton 5.jpg
    Upton 5.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 2,136
  • Upton 6.jpg
    Upton 6.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 1,559

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
I do believe it calls itself an 'Ofton', if that means anything, in anybody's life...
It does however look a helluva lot like and Acco.

Iron Horse

I don't know about the MT but the 855 stands for 855 cubic inches the Cummins has . The T probably stands for Turbo . It looks like it's going the wrong way , the front looks like the back . It would be awsome with a mulcher if it had 3pl and a PTO and the steering reversed .

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Those are some real impressive specs!! I'd love to see that thing grunting pulling a plow.

It sounds very nice when it is pulling, Steve, it used to pull a fairly large air seeder with a trailing hopper and when it started off the back wheels just bit in and the Cummins never missed a beat. It is fairly hard on tyres. I will try and get some video of it working.

I don't know about the MT but the 855 stands for 855 cubic inches the Cummins has . The T probably stands for Turbo..

I am not sure about that Iron Horse, because on the Upton Engineering website, bruce oz put the link up, the MT-855 shown there has a V8 Scania engine in it.

Rn'R.

Iron Horse

Yes , i'm not sure what to make of that now . Ive just looked at the link , my way of thinking would make the 14/350 model a 14 litre 350 hp Cummins (855cubic inches) It's a bit of a coincidence that they would use 855 for the model number , the exact cubic inches of a Cummins for a tractor with a Scania V8 engine . Seems i'm wrong again , DOH .

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
looks like it has a toe out problem.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
You are right qball, I had to go back and have a look at the pics, I'll follow that one up to see if there is a reason for it.

Rn'R.

Iron Horse

After a bit of a Google , it seems the Scania V8 and the Cummins 6 cylinder are both 14 litre engines which is 855 cubic inches so the model number works for both of the engines that were fitted .

RocksnRoses

Occupation
You are right Iron Horse, that is the reason it is called an 855, I checked up with the owner, and there is no obvious reason for the toe out, qball, it just does. I also made a mistake with the roller weight it is pulling, the roller full of water is actually thirty five tonnes. With these rollers you can fill them up with water for heavy rolling, or drain the water out for light rolling.

Rn'R.

Iron Horse

The tie rod may have caught on something , it only needs to have a slight bow in it too make the wheels toe out .

Deas Plant

Upton tractors.

Hi, R-n-R.
Nice photos. Thanks for posting. As I understand it, in his heyday, Upton claimed that his 2wd 14/350 model would stay with or outpull any competitor's 350 hp 4wd tractor. I would have liked to see a contest between Upton's beast and some or all the competitors 'cos that 14/350 was a pretty solid bit of gear.

More about it here:

http://www.puddingsworld.com/Machinery/Upton/UptonImages/Upton_advert.jpg

Puddingsworld home page:

http://www.puddingsworld.com/

He has all sorts of interesting stuff about tractors there, mainly agricultural tractors as that is his background.

Thanks again, R-n-R.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Thanks Deas, and thanks for the link, that looks like an interesting site. The Uptons were a pretty formidable piece of equipment in their day and this one is still used on a regular basis.

Rn'R.