• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

tractor pans or scrapers which do you like better

Hollywood627G

The test is a joke. a 27 hauls 22 yards, not 20. It was nice they gave the pans their full yardage though. 72 loads in an 8.5 hr. day? That's a joke. At that distance you should be atleast in the 120's. The fuel consumed compared to the load count is wrong, that much fuel consumed should account to more loads even with the haul distance. I'll be sure to get my fuel consumed and load count on monday. My 27 partner and I had 1min. 40sec. round trip times on approx. 1200ft. haul ( the time we hook up in the cut, load, fill, and come back around and hook up again) timed by Walt whom is the Empire sales rep. for northwestern AZ. I believe we used around 280 gallons that day. Ya'll can do the math and figure out how productive that is. With a good operator, push pulls dominate.

dozerdave

Really guys, I think if you put your farm tractors pulling those humped up looking scrapers to work in a rock cut that had to be ripped by a single shank ripper in order to get a load you would see the difference between farm tools and cats and cans or 637 or 657 scrapers running in pairs not single loading. Then when the rock gets harder you clean up a patch and bring in the drills and get ready to shoot. Then the best tool is a large shovel and trucks. End spills. It would depend on the yardage to move how you would set up your operation. If you don't have much rock to shoot you would use a large loader and trucks. If it is maybe a spillway for a nice big dam project then the shovel is the way to go. I guess what I wanted to say is the whole world isn't made out of potato dirt and there is a place for cats and cans and push pull scrapers paired up.

Roading equipment, yes I have made a few trips and I have to say I think during those trips was my first experience with road rage. One time we roaded DW 20 scrapers from north of Oroville Ca. up by Jarbo Gap to San Mateo Ca. up above town on Parrot Drive. Those folks really get serious about getting some where. The book at that time said to pull over if you backed up 5 cars. Where are you going to pullover in down town San Mateo? Another time I was on a 12 blade from Oroville going to a housing project out east of Sacramento toward Folsom. A woman in a big black Cad. had to pass me somewhere south of Rocklin as we were meeting a truck so I pulled of the highway which had a long row of black walnut trees along the fence line. The limbs and green walnuts ripped my umbrella off and and put lumps on my head before I could stop. Nope, no ROPS in 1960.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
You think if you put farm tractors those humped up looking scrapers to work in a rock cut etc. etc? It is more like I KNOW, I KNOW, I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We see the farm tractor pan combination around here only in top soil and clay, nothing else. I will stick with my D7's and D8's pulling conventional Cat pans on my short haul jobs.

Abscraperguy

Interesting thread..Just joined the site and really enjoy the discussion . I can see were the tractor/pan combination might out work a scraper , but up here in northern Alberta we get a little thing called winter! (for about 5 to 6 months out of the year ) Dealing with the frost (sometimes up to 6 feet of it depending on how much traffic has been on the area) is hard enough with a scraper , I couldnt imagine the tractor/pan combination lasting very long . I'm guessing the repairs in the spring would break you financially . You need at least a ripper cat for scrapers to work productively (for singles a push cat )in the winter . My way of thinking ..Scraper is the only way to go ...work them 12 months out of the year not 6 . Tractor/pan may have it's place and to be fair I have not seen them work in the frost , but alot more scrapers here in the oilpatch . Has anyone compared tractor/pan to the auger scraper ? I used to run 657E augers for Sureway Construction in Edmonton and in sandy silty conditions you could not beet them , lock her in second and just enough power so as not to spin the wheels and full loads every time, and depending on the operator , very good cycle times as well . No voids in the load and no push cat = lots of $$

I worked for a construction outfit in northern Alberta that used tractor/scrapers and here are some of my opinions.

1. Pull scrapers do work up here but not all makes are without problems up north. John Deere dump pans and Crabtree's work but they do have problems with frozen dirt building up between inside and outside side walls and pushing them in. Reynolds seem to work ok. The outfit I worked for ran all of the above until they found something that worked alot better, the Ktec 3100. Easy to pushload if needed and no problems. They've actually ran them complete winters for the last two years.

2. Tractor/scrapers operate very differently than buggies. I'm not entirely sure that long term buggy operators can make the switch to understanding the difference never mind operating them.

Has anyone figured out the cost of ownership buggies versus tractor/scraper? If a person bought a brand new buggy of similar size to a tractor/scraper combo what would the residual value be after 5 years. I know this is only part of the pros/cons debate but I'm curious from a purchase/resale cost point of view.

ronnie

Here is a scraper we recently built from a 621B. The D8N is a pull tractor we bought that was factory set up for that purpose.

i've seen that unit across from jakes restaurant i operated both of the old 31's you guys got from 3d they were rough riding(no coushion hitch ) but they would be goin when the others were waitin on a grease monkey

ronnie

1 guy in south carolina still has the right idea i just seen a brand new 627g go haulin it up a 4 lane highway yesterday and a j/d with it's pull pan still sittin in the fiels beside the zaxbys were gradind for still growin them weeds around it still hard to beat them convintional scrapers even if they only have 1 lever in them(i've nevr got to try that yet but a buddy of mine said i'd like it

Txdrt

Occupation
Equipment/Safety Coordinator and wishing I was on
fnot built heavy enough. the miskin and e-ject systems pulltype scrapers in my opinion are the best.

Have you seen the K-Techs. They are a newish company out of Canada. Great pans, I would put them up against anything. They have done tons of homework and have improved the engineering. We ran ours with a Case and no probs, just stay out of the rock.

Abscraperguy

Have you seen the K-Techs. They are a newish company out of Canada. Great pans, I would put them up against anything. They have done tons of homework and have improved the engineering. We ran ours with a Case and no probs, just stay out of the rock.

Yeah I have run their 2800, 1228, and 3100 models. Very good machines. I know a bunch of the guys that work in design and sales. The company I used towork for switched away from the Deere's and Reynolds after trying one of their scrapers.

JASON M

Occupation
Const company owner
Farm tractor drawn pull pans? ha ha ha. I've used what was probably the first pair ever used in Louisiana. Good idea to get more utility out of a farm tractor, but remember the keyword, "FARM"
Anyway, did a mass dirt job in La. Here's what we had: Had (2) Kom PC-300's (w/ mass arms) loading (4) Volvo artics. (4) John Deere 8400's pulling a pair of Reynolds CS's. (2) Case IH Quad-Tracs pulling each a pair of Reynolds LGP CS's on one end of the job.
The other end of the job, we used ONLY (3) Terex TS-18's getting push-loaded by a new Cat D8R. I ordered the TS-18 operators to leave the units in first gear only.
In summary, the levee project was a short turnaround haul excavating an adjacent borrow area of lean red clay material. Haul distance approx 800 ft, one way. THE SCRAPER OPERATION NETTED MORE DIRT/ DAY THAN ALL OF THAT OTHER UNITS, COMBINED!:eek:

As told to me by one of the oldest, largest contractors in the state of La, "Caterpillar has been in the dirt moving business for over a hundred years" "How do some of these little bicycle farm-type pull pans think they can compete?"

They cannot compete. It takes weight and horsepower to move the REAL DIRT. All ya gotta do is add the total weight and horsepower.... pretty simple.... and my aforementioned results reinforce this.:cool:

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
Farm tractors for irrigation farm developments

For "land levelling" we used 450hp Steigers with 15yd3 buckets in "light" cut & fill applications when laser control first came on the scene back in the late '70s :)

Attachments

• Hodgco laser bucket Aust.jpg
    Hodgco laser bucket Aust.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 2,201
Last edited:

JD9520

Dave Kolb Grading out of STL, MO is pulling 3-2112e scrapers behind their 9630 tractors. They replaced the duals with a set of track wrapped rubber tires, these tractors are running with the 631's and the D10s in southern MO and yes they are working in the rock and yes the 9630s are holding their own. If anyone is on 67hwy or 54hwy at the Lake of the Ozarks, you can watch see them run. There is a place for both Cat scrapers and Pull Pans and the way the other contractors are moving dirt in MO, I would say that Pull Pans are doing more of the dirt work.

JASON M

Occupation
Const company owner
Let's do the math: Cat D9 "whatever suffix" = 95,000 lbs Terex TS-18 = 75,000 lbs. Total empty weight = 170,000 lbs. This is the tare weight of the loading mechanism, the mechanism that is poised to engage a ground engaging tool, is 170,000 lbs.
How much does the farm tractor have? 40,000 lbs??
How 'bout power? The D9 is putting out at least 400 hp. The twin scraper is putting out over 500 hp. Add 'em up and you've got 900 flywheel hp!..... all horsepower being applied to that single cutting edge! How much does your farm tractor have? 500 hp?........... not even a comparison.
But there is more. As the twin motor scraper begins to load, his tractive effort continues to grow............ to the tune of an additional 70,000 lbs, when fully loaded...so when it comes to the "nut-cutt'n," (getting the voids out of the can, and getting the paydirt #'s elevated through compression of the load) a farm tractor cannot compete.... lest you believe that your farm tractor sporting 500 hp with 40,000 lbs of tractive effort can outperform the push-cat/ twin-scraper combo's 900 + hp with 240,000 lbs of tractive effort.

The push-cat/ twin-scraper combo nets a compressed, low void ratio large cubic yard payload. The farm tractor ends up with a bunch of non-compressed, high void ratio "hat-full-of-dirt" looking payloads. If you had access to an axle scale and measured the tare weights of the haul units and then the gross weights of the loaded haul units ON THE JOBSITE, you would see the difference.

aglasergps

Occupation
Managing Director - TOOMEY EARTHMOVERS
...don't also forget that the weight of the machine has to be pulled around as well. Just because it is HEAVY, doesn't mean it will load or travel any quicker or easier than a lighter machine - depends on the type of material you work in and the ground conditions. I've seen projects where the single power scrapers are barely able to haul their own weight around, let alone ask them to actually carry any real volume of material................and the tractors can travel and move dirt easily so it's not that clear cut.

FYI Jason M, any 450 - 550 tractor worth it's salt doing this type of work has to weigh 22t (50,000lbs) and a single scraper at least 10t (22,400lbs) - a total of nearly 75,000lb. Compare that to the total horsepower available in your scenario (I'm guessing about 900hp) and you'll find that the weight to horsepower ratio isn't as disposed towards the dozer as you'd make out!

JASON M

Occupation
Const company owner
I know that there are guys on this thread that have lots of experience, for sure. But I'd bet that not many have actually compared the different units (farm tractor vs conventionals) with a standard 100,000 lb axle scale ON THE JOBSITE. I have already done so. The immediate visual representation of the farm tractor's payload is misleading. Not only is there an enormous void left in the front of the pull-pan, but the dirt that is indeed there is typically riding in a "loose state" The conventional scraper's load is Jam-packed.... it's got to be. 200,000 lbs of push-cat and scraper tires have a tendency to do that.
No matter how you estimate it, the farm tractor, pulling his pull-type pans cannot match this. And no matter the type of farm tractor, no matter how many "tires" that you mount on the axle, no matter to a great extent, the horsepower of the farm tractor, you still don't end up with shear weight of the conventional twin-scraper/ push-cat arrangement.

I don't think that I stated anything erroneously and talk about weight and balance for a moment. External weights were always added to the front of a farm tractor to do (2) things: First and foremost, get equal loading to all (4) tires, then to add weight. When you apply huge drawbar weight to the farm tractor, the front axle becomes "light" and does very little to contribute to the forward vector. In a dynamic loading situation, the farm tractor is never truly balanced; it goes into the cut (empty) with tons of weight on the nose of the tractor, resulting in little effort from the rear axle, then, for only an instant, is it balanced, making both axles balanced; then it finishes its loading with more weight on the rear axle and less on the front. Point is that it is never perfect.

Now let's assume the push-cat/ twin-scraper arrangement. Both units remain perfectly in balance during the entire loading sequence, UNLESS the enexperienced push-cat operator lifts the rear of the twin-scraper with his blade, negating the drive effort of the scraper's rear axle. This not withstanding, the higher the push-cat's blade, when it contacts the scraper's push-block, the more tractive effort that the dozer realizes. It's simple statics; the more resistance the scraper offers, the "heavier" the dozer becomes (dynamically) It actually forces the steel tracks footprint into the ground. This is the principal of felling trees with a hyd excavator. Hit it higher and the excavator's dynamic footprint is enhanced. Tree falls over relatively easily; same phenomenon with a push-cat's blade.

BTW, I own (4) Reynolds LGP CS scrapers, (4) Prime pans, and (6) very old, original, (but welded immensely) 14 cy pans. I've pulled 'em with everything from Case 2870's, J.D. 8400's, J.D. 9400's, big Quad Tracs, and big round-tired Steigers. I am biased because I've owned 'em all, run 'em all, and evaluated 'em all. Farm tractors and lightweight pull pans are like the old gas-burning over the road haul trucks of yesteryear; they'll pull like the devil but they won't do it for long. Then you'll have to rebuild 'em. Dirt moving is a contact sport; and until electronics become less susceptible to the dust, vibration, and moisture of Real Dirt Work, new farm tractors will be cost prohibitive to big dirt work.
I see today, that there are company's out there building structurally-sound pull-pans for farm tractors, but check out what they are becoming... the good ones, I mean..............;) big, heavy, mining-tire wearing, thick steel framed, large hyd cylindered, old-school appearing dirt pans. :D Are pull-pan manufacturers going forward or backward?:eek: Caterpillar, Terex, and the like had it right from the start. And I've found that late-model engines, because of EPA mandates, burn equivalent amounts of fuel, even with all of the new, electronic technology in injection systems.

Yep, I endorse "Old-School Iron"........... and the shorter the haul, the more disparity in load count. The old-school conventional Push-cats/ twin-scrapers will dominate by a large margin.:)

JD9520

Heres something to think about. If Cat doesnt think that the tractor and scraper combo will not work. Why would Cat come out with a scraper Tractor and Why would Cat buy the Eject Scraper company? Everyone on here has a good valid point, but from here in MO the tractor and scraper option looks to be more productive. I would agree in short haul the cat will be more productive but when you compare new cost to new cost you can buy 2 tractors and 4 pans for the price of 1 Cat, reducing your overhead and allowing you to move dirt cheaper

JDOFMEMI

This has gotten lively again. Nothing like a good discussion with multiple viewpoints.

I still believe that each type of operation has its place.
In muddy conditions, it is hard to compete with the lower weight and high flotation of the tractor and pan combo with its wide tires or tracks, and pulling a lightweight pan. True, it may not load as much as a conventional scraper in good conditions, but it is running in conditions that would leave that conventional unit stuck in the mud most of the time.
Move into good conditions with easily loaded dirt, and a short haul (<500') and the tractor and pan will be closer to even, and depending on conditions, it could go either way easily.
If the ground gets just a bit harder, or the haul just a bit longer and the self propelled scraper starts to dominate. Like Jason M said, it is all about the weight of dirt in the can, not just the loose volume. Here in SoCal, we double and tripple push the big scrapers for that reason. With axle scales you will find about 3 bank yards more in a load that has been pushed by 2 D-9's than with just one. Add third dozer to the push, and get about 2 more bank yards in there, even though the top of the load does not look too much larger. It is all about having the weight and horsepower to pack the dirt in there.

Move into rocky conditions and you better leave the pull pans home. They will not last. The scrapers will get it done still, but the operating cost starts to go up with tire wear and damage, as well as cuttin edges and structural damage. There comes a point where it is best to park them and run trucks with large hoes loading. It is a little slower, but cheaper due to less damage and wear and tear. Especially with tire prices and availability where they have been.

The other thing the tractor and pan option supporters say is that the initial purchase price is less. True, if you compare new to new, but not many here run new scrapers.
I can put together a fleet of used scrapers 20 years old for much less than the cost of new pans, and from what I have seen the tractors pulling pans are hard pressed to run even 10 years. The 20 year old scraper fleet will move dirt just as well as a new scraper fleet with the right maintenance and a couple spare units, which you can afford with older ones.

If your job is only in conditions favorable to a tractor and pan, go that way, but as a contractor who may be in sand one month, dirt after that, and then a rocky job, with who knows what next, you are better off with a tool that will handle any of it, and that is a scraper fleet, with some trucks to handle the rock.

DPete

Well put JDO, lots of pros and cons, scraper trains do a beatiful job if the conditions are right and must be economical to run by the price per yard they move dirt for, the loballers here all run them They also are wide and cumbersome and I wonder what their downhill ability with a load is. Also can they pick up grader windrows? or just spread it out. I don't know what their practical haul speed is I'm guessing about 1/2 of a conventional scraper. They won't cut hard ground, I have ripped for them in clay material and after removing about 6" they had it packed back down where they could'nt load it. You can put a 623 or 631 or larger on a truck and go, what about moving a scraper train? Can go on and on they have their place, mainly land leveling IMO

JASON M

Occupation
Const company owner
You guys in the West run your scrapers much harder than I would dare. You speak of immense hauling speeds. I don't see how they hold up (older conventional scrapers) but obviously, you are doing it with success. Kudos.
Here in La. (soft clay ground), I find it more advantageous to leave the big iron (D9G w/ pushblock pushing TS-18's) in 1st gear and let the weight and the horsepower get max loads. This does lots of good things. First, your structure is not bouncing around, shock-loading the structure. This saves alot of structural welding! The operators can work an entire day, instead of physically wearing them down. It's much safer and easier to get positioned in the cut. It also saves the drivelines from getting "shocked" by continual shifting. The U-joints aren't spinning nearly as fast; grease stays where it should. The apron hinges aren't banging the bushings out.
I find my "uptime" far outweighs the little increased production of making the operators rawhide my iron. So often, I see my dirt-moving competitors (mostly the farmers) out there with a welder and a large excavator hanging one of the little pull-pans high into the air for repairs.... and I mean major repairs! Looks like some shark fisherman hanging a prize Great White Shark at the pier!
On another point, I find that if the material cannot be hauled productively with a push-cat/ scraper arrangement......... then you need to be using over-the-highway trucks pulling bottom-dump trailers loaded by a mass excavator anyway, particularly if the haul is over 2500 ft, one way. But that's my experience I've found in the Louisiana Delta mass dirt projects. An average job will be 1-2 million net cubic yards. We don't have any rock and wouldn't know anything about that. I bet it can make you scratch your posterior plenty.

But in fairness to the little pull-pans, they don't make as much of a mess. They don't overcut, compared to the big iron. They don't impact-load the ground as much. They don't pump the water up through the ground as much as a conventional. For this reason, they are great for precision grading and I've still got a bunch of 'em (pull-pans)...... but I use 'em for either small-scale jobs where time isn't a factor or working as finishing machines. I particularly like my Reynolds LSE-14 finishing bucket; really tidies up behind the big Eucs.