• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trailer axle ID help

joe--h

Old dry van, 30+ years I think. It has a leak in one of the hubs & I have no clue what it is or what's leaking. Just guessing there's an O-ring in there but how to disassemble and what I'm looking for I have no clue and zero experience.

So can anyone identify this axle by looking at it and tell me what it is and where to find a blow up of what's in there?Hub 04.JPGHub 6.JPGHub 5.JPG

It hasn't moved in years, and I plan to move it about 800 miles so need to fix it so I don't park it somewhere half way.

Thanks, Joe H

terex herder

I don't remember the brand, but I have a trailer with those caps. I recently purchased a couple of new caps, I think there is one on the shelf. I will look to see if it has any info.

crane operator

Stemco 340-4975

Amazon if you don't have a truck parts place nearby. Oriellys or napa should be able to get them also.

Should fill with 80-90 gear oil when done.

Personally, I wouldn't be much up for a 800 mile trip, without looking at, or replacing all the wheel bearings and seals. If the bearings looked super good, I might just do the wheel seals, but bearings arent' that expensive, and you could also look at the brakes while you were in there.

If it hasn't moved in years, the wheel bearings likely are rusted, and that's not going to go well on a trip. I know the wheel seals will leak, and likely a air can or two on the brakes will be bad.

Truck Shop

That is a ProPar/Fruehauf axle-outboard bearing is the same size as inboard, wheel seal
number is CR42623. Takes a 4 7/8-8 sided stamped steel spindle nut socket. Piece of cake,
If I was closer-I have the CR seal driver, the socket, the seal, the O-ring for cover cap and
a new cover cap. Mikes truck parts-Mike speaking.

joe--h

That's what I'm looking for. Bearing set up like a regular wheel bearing, a RCH of play?

Brg # HM518410/HM518445 Looks like some pricey bits.

How tight is that nut going to be? Any on line instructions for this I-don't-wanna-do-it project?

Joe H

Truck Shop

Somehow I doubt it needs a bearing change, ProPar axles were known to be tough because
of the inboard/outboard bearing size, it's why fleets ran them, many are just grease packed.
.005 to zero endplay works just fine. There is really nothing there except two bearings, two
races, a seal, spindle nut with a large cotter key and a plastic hub cover with O-ring.