• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trailer brakes not releasing on my 20-ton tag

mx727

You keep bring the same **** up, but there is no mention of a CARD. All of it falls under CFR49, and the second part you are referencing is 396.17 and 396.19.

Yes, there are record requirements under 396.19, but, you only get into 396.19 if a carrier chooses inspections under 396.17(e).

396.17(d) says that a carrier can do their own inspections.

Georgia Iron, you can work on your own trucks.

cfherrman

I believe that's called right to repair.

I might look at the CDL book I'm pretty sure it tells you how to adjust them.

There is no certification or license or degree or card you can carry that means you can do something. It's just a piece of paper. If that were true everyone with a CDL would be a good driver.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Missouri just must have experience as a mechanic or been properly trained and can show how to properly adjust. No card needed.

Always made me wonder, CA, OR, WA and many other states have pull offs to perform a brake and brake function test before proceeding Down Grade. Not gonna get a mechanic up there to adjust them for you if out and if bypass the stop lose braking are subject to multiple fines. So Fines for adjustments No Card or Fines and possibly accident lawsuit If do not. Not exactly a coin toss.

skyking1

third option, you find them to be wanting and you park your ass right there until help arrives. this would save many lives.

Truck Shop

Missouri just must have experience as a mechanic or been properly trained and can show how to properly adjust. No card needed.

Always made me wonder, CA, OR, WA and many other states have pull offs to perform a brake and brake function test before proceeding Down Grade. Not gonna get a mechanic up there to adjust them for you if out and if bypass the stop lose braking are subject to multiple fines. So Fines for adjustments No Card or Fines and possibly accident lawsuit If do not. Not exactly a coin toss.
Your correct no card needed-now.
During the time of FHWA the rules were different. Starting in 1998 the federal rules regulating motor
carriers and involved maintenance were overhauled-including brakes and related repair. The FHWA
became FMCSA. By 10-1-2001 changed rules and all verbiage pertaining to new/old rules was changed.
Because major motor carriers lobbied the old rules were archaic originally drawn up by the old ICC
going back to the 30's. Back in those years there was a brake certification card although most never
acquired and rule was never enforced. The card was brought on by Teamsters along with other odds
and ends.
Part of this regulation overhaul also had to do with the crazy rules individual states had on the books,
One such rule was in Conn. Driver had to prove he had night clothes on when off duty in sleeper.
No joke-rules like that were lobbied and abolished.

cfherrman

I forgot that there are automatic slack adjusters, so adjustment of these are clearly a moot point since they are always perfectly adjusted.

According to the CDL manual you can adjust them yourself, although it wants that to be only temporary because something else is broken then.

I always remove automatic adjusters and put in manual ones.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-02-18-30-53-69_1843fd3f74f49144123f76a000cd5e7e.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-02-18-30-53-69_1843fd3f74f49144123f76a000cd5e7e.jpg
    721.6 KB · Views: 2

Truck Shop

H-06-3 note that auto slacks are dangerous because it gives the driver a false sense of security.
Partially true, when those became mandatory in 1994 and enough trucks had them-drivers no
longer had to get under and get dirty. Which caused worse pre-trip inspections, less was being
looked at. Like most things what destroys auto slacks is lack of grease, regularly.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
H-06-3 note that auto slacks are dangerous because it gives the driver a false sense of security.
Partially true, when those became mandatory in 1994 and enough trucks had them-drivers no
longer had to get under and get dirty. Which caused worse pre-trip inspections, less was being
looked at. Like most things what destroys auto slacks is lack of grease, regularly.
Even with automatic adjusters, I give it the pull out every time I grease. Trucks or equipment. Greasing is when you can pull and tug and shake, and find stuff broken or worn.