• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trailer Reccomendation

kentog

I am looking to buy a trailer to haul construction equipment. I need to haul skid steers, Backhoes, etc...

Any suggestions of what I need? How big? Other specs.

Thanks

Landclearer

If you want to haul a backhoe, you will need at least a 10 ton. It it were me, I would spend the extra and get a 20 ton in case you ever want to haul something bigger like a 315. Pitts, Eager Beaver and Interstate all make good trailers as well as Towmaster.

Chris

eric12

what are you putting in front of that trailer? are you buying a truck and trailer or hoping to tow multiple pieces together? or are you looking for a trailer to tow behind a small truck you already own? it also depends on local laws and how much weight your planning on towing. if you have a flatbed or a pick up like a 3500 or even a 2500 id go with a gooseneck to get better control and they tow nicer, but you have to watch your weight and make sure you don't need a class A license if you don't have one already. if your planning on towing a backhoe id prefer to have a truck and trailer with air brakes and a 20 ton trailer like land clearer said. talbert and eager beaver make nice trailers, i don't care for tow master, i think they are made pretty cheap. if your looking to tow a few pieces on one trailer or have other larger machines and no truck really to tow with id look at a lowboy so you can haul multiple machines and larger machines without problems but now you need to consider the added cost of having a large truck and extra permits and see if you move your machines enough or if your better off with a small trailer to tow skid steers behind the truck you currently own and hire someone to tow your larger machines around especially if you don't move them enough to justify owning a truck and trailer.

kentog

Thanks. For specifics. I'll be buying a pickup to tow it. I need to tow heavy equipment. I have skid steers, a mini-ex and a backhoe.
Thanks

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
ok, your in a bit of a sticky spot. Skidloaders and some minis don't like deck over trailers. For instance when I load my ctl70 onto my 20 ton towmaster the truck better be downhill and the skid steer backed on. The shorter skidsteer trailers work a lot better for them and the minis, but not for backhoes.

In my opinion, there are not too many backhoes id like behind my pickup either, maybe a Kubota m59, but definatly no newer fullsize things like 410sj's and stuff, way too much weight for a pickup to stop.

norite

Ditto on the backhoe, towing with a p/u truck. Tried it once with a jd310 and a 9t tag dow float. It was a wet day and w/o 4wd the trailer would have pushed me off the road in the corners, never mind getting it stopped.

jalewis

The minimum you could safely tow a full size backhoe with would be a 550 with a big gooseneck. Personally, I'd look for an older dump truck and an air brake tag. If you look hard enough you can probably find both in decent shape for under 20k.

eric12

if you have a gooseneck and a 3500 single cab dually you should be able to tow a JD310, its only 13-14,000 lbs. how often are you looking to tow your backhoe? you could probably drive it to the job to be safer if your work is close and then get a smaller trailer for the minis and skid steers.

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
i have a 310sj that i haul around with a ford f350 and a triple axle gooseneck not ideal but it gets the job done

Brandt

I move an old Case 530 backhoe with an F-350 and a 3 axle gooseneck. The gooseneck is rated at 21K and weighs 6200 unladden. tThe Ford weighs 6900 w/o my fat ass in it (dually' s will weigh more). I'm guessing a backhoe will weigh 12-14K. It can be done but you are trying to stop about 25K+ with hydraulic/electric brakes. When I pull mine I have to start with the transfer case in the low range, then shift into hi range and put the trans in second. You can't do this with the "modern" electric or vaccum selector for the transfer case. I also can't use OD (5th) gear unless I am going down hill. If you are thinking about a diesel P/U, get and learn to read an exhaust temp gauge or pyrometer!!
I would look for a single axle dump truck and pintle trailer.

Where do you live?? If you live in the mountains, I would avoid the P/U option!

Last edited: