• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trailer tire problem

Old Doug

I wish i would have taken a picture and i may tomorrow . I was at the tire shop there was a gooesneck trailer with two 10,000 pound axles . They had been having tires problems 3 tires all had a flap open up on the side wall about 2 inch square right were the side meets the tread. The flaps started down from the bead to the tread. Some how they never shreaded a tire and they are in good shape other than the hole. What could cause this ?

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Add to the cheap tires and heat, over loading and under inflating. But you don't say if they are all on the same side etc. I assume each axle has two wheels on each side? So there are 8 tires on the trailer? Many of theses trailers only have a payload of 14-15,000 lb and owners will haul 18,0000 lb equipment (dozer, backhoe, etc)

Truck Shop

The most important question is what brand? In most cases the side wall flex doesn't match
the tread belt flex.

Old Doug

It has 8 tires and they were on different sides not together . No retreads . I bet it was from over loading . I have hauled way more than i should lots of times but i went slow . I dont like using trailer tires i have had better luck with LTs on my trailers . I bought a car trailer with brand new 10plys trailer tires i have replaced 2 in a very short time its never hauled over 4000# and has never been over 50 miles from home. This isnt my first dealings with trailer tires i will not buy them for my stuff.

Tyler d4c

This sounds like our trailer with 17 5s on it if I knew good tires would fix it I order a set tomorrow

Old Doug

From being around a tire shop the 17.5s are a little better but not much. I need a trailer and have been looking to pull behind my truck. I think it would be alot better if i could find something with 22.5s . At one time the tire sales man said dont sell LTs to put on trailers the only thing we could figure is they would go broke .