• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trans. in volvo G946

DirectTech

Occupation
Mechanic
So on Friday I found out that i had a lovley job to do replace a trans in a G946, I posted some pics so you could see how much fun it was mind you this unit only has 862 hrs on it.

Attachments

• grader cab (Small).JPG
    grader cab (Small).JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 452
  • grader no cab (Small).JPG
    grader no cab (Small).JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 457
  • top of trans (Small).JPG
    top of trans (Small).JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 467
  • tight fit (Small).JPG
    tight fit (Small).JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 444
  • tight hoses 2 (Small).JPG
    tight hoses 2 (Small).JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 441

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
I heard a story from the factory about that type of job.:)

Under the prototypetesting of the new trans they changed it so many times that the mecanics would do that job in half a day....

Be glad that it dosent have all the extra hydraulics at the front...;)
Then u are up for even more hoses around the trans...

Can u tell us the reason for the change?

And what are those vertical acumulators on the frame next to the lifting sylinders?

DirectTech

Occupation
Mechanic
Seems that Volvo has a problem with some of their grader trans. they shift rough from 4-5, this is actually the second trans. that i have put in this machine this time it is a 11 speed. If this does not fix it then I have to do it again in the fall when they come out with the new style, those accumulators are for the blade float.

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
I changed a transmission in a series 3 740 a few years ago.
after talking with a service guy, we decided to lift the whole machine up on blocks ( railway ties) using the blade and a 50 ton jack. we had the grader off the ground about an extra two feet, and the Transmission was lowered down with a trans jack and wheeled to the bench. all in all, I think it took us about 5 hours to pull out and a little less to put in once it was repaired.
I think there would be a lot less stress, we didnt have to remove the cab, so there was no need for an over head crane or hoist.
unhook the drive line and input shaft, drop the belly pan and the hoses, and lower it down.

I dont know if this might be a nother way to look at things, but it sure worked well in our shop.

DirectTech

Occupation
Mechanic
I did think about that and the manual said to remove it from the top so i figuried i would try it, now after doing three i can have the cab off and trans. out in about six hours, so six one half dozen the other.

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
I jsut mentioned it, incase someone else has to do it in the future. Im not sure if it will will work in the newer champs and Volvos. it just gives people another option

DirectTech

Occupation
Mechanic
oh yeah definitly, the first time i did it though the factroy ran the hoses for the drive aasit on the front wheels through the loop in the large suction line on the tans. so i did not put it back that way

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
OohOoh

Hard shifting from 4-5 gears??

I mean there is a software upgrade for that problem.;)
You're shure it has the upgraded software tested before you change......

And that the upgrade was correctly installed.

I mean that it is version 5 that takes care of that problem.(I have the Volvo work description on my work desk, ill check tomorrow)
And to make it installed correctly u need to do some driving with the grader.
And this upgrade made a change in our 11 trans...:)

If i am not wrong, the change between 4-5, are changes where the gearbox changes its force to another main gear axle.
Thats the reason for the "harder" change in some of the gears.
(M has the same charateristics..)

But of course this grader might have another, and bigger, change problem in those gears.:rolleyes:
Another thing to be aware of is that the changing characteristics is made by the piping/hoses for the clutches.(and software)
The longer and bigger pipes, then u get another change caracteristics.
Even a test hose with gauge will make it shift different..:)

DirectTech

Occupation
Mechanic
Yeah we have tried everything even software that was not available for other dealers, Volvo claims that the trans. are hit or miss you either get a good one or a bad one, but hopefully we can cure it this time. Yes 4-5 is when all the clutches mesh so it is a little harder but on this grader it is very hard.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Then u shurely have tested everything.

We got the V.5 because of the bad cold start abillitys.
That one wasn't either available to most users, because they wanted to put more changes in it before it was released.

It will be public very soon, but the software guy's are working on even more changes.
I am still waiting for this upgrade on all ours, we only got one machine changed as a test.
And that was a success, most of the problems we have discovered disappered.
(Cold start, gearchange, 6wd speed sensor fault, starting gear in T and more)

DirectTech

Occupation
Mechanic
That is the only problems with the graders that i have seen they seem to have a lot of bugs, but what a good machine, the operator love this machine he will take into town all the time just to get coffee.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Seems that we are talking about the same software update here.(V2007 5.0)
Also says its not released, new one is comming early 2008....
But u got it because of the trans, we because of cold start.

I checked it and noticed a note, saying that failure to do a speed sensor calibration will result in harsh shuttle shifting.
A description on last page also states that the946 is most affected by the new axle parameter.

DirectTech

Occupation
Mechanic
Got the machine back together today and test, much better shifts great and is awesome, the first two trans. where 8 speeds and the repair bill I don't know much about, I do know that the Trans. are about $41,000 each and it took about 2 1/2 days, but all under warranty. No there are no other issues that I know about just a software glitch here and there.