• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trees, Trees, and More Trees

John Griffin

Sometimes you just have to pick up a crane with your crane. This is our project tms300. The pumps are out of it and we were seeing if we could pick it up to move it.

20230911_152038.jpg

John Griffin

We had to use our crane to unload my latest shop purchase so the riggers didn't have to bring a crane out. This press brake weighs 22,400 lbs. Had to brake out my 20 ton 4 leg bridle. We never use this kinda stuff doing tree work but it's really nice to have around. This is actually the first time we put the block on this crane.

20230912_150457.jpg20230912_154536.jpg20230912_164510.jpg

John Griffin

What is rated for about 3/16" at 10'? Did you get extra dies with it? Very handy machine to have. Now you need a shear to go with it.

I think that's correct. I remember them saying with the right dies it would do 8 ft of 1/4". I didnt get any extra dies as they didnt have any. I probably wont buy a shear as we can cut whatever we want with our cnc plasma table.

Welder Dave

I think that's correct. I remember them saying with the right dies it would do 8 ft of 1/4". I didnt get any extra dies as they didnt have any. I probably wont buy a shear as we can cut whatever we want with our cnc plasma table.
I didn't realize you had a CNC plasma table. I have to ask the obvious, what does a tree service need a CNC plasma and press brake for?

colson04

I didn't realize you had a CNC plasma table. I have to ask the obvious, what does a tree service need a CNC plasma and press brake for?

If he's like me, he wants to venture into multiple other avenues of income. Keep his guys busy in the slow season (if he has one down there). Winter gets scarce for tree work where I'm from, but might not be an issue for John down south.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
If he's like me, he wants to venture into multiple other avenues of income. Keep his guys busy in the slow season (if he has one down there). Winter gets scarce for tree work where I'm from, but might not be an issue for John down south.

Not speaking for John but the winter rains is all that slows us down here.

That and the occasional 24 hour snow storm in which we just take the day off. :p

John Griffin

Our local power companies will put on the plastic covers free of charge. One city utility will charge for it.
We have had them do that in the past. They are an absolute pain to deal with over it. They wont do it beforehand and dont show up when they day they will. The last time we had them do it they stopped our jobsite for more than half a day and still didnt cover the whole section we wanted covered. It was a total cluster.

John Griffin

I also own a fabrication and machine shop. We have 2 3 axis cnc mills, 1 4 axis cnc mill, a cnc lathe, the plasma table, manual mill and lathe, mig and tig welders, tubing bender, jig table, etc.

John Griffin

It does slow down some here due to the winter rains. No one wants to do tree work when its 40 and raining. We certainly dont take the whole winter off or anything like that. Some weeks it rains 3 or 4 days.

John Griffin

It was crane repair day today. Our rear wishbones for the gmk suspension have some play kn them that's causing the back axle to steer itself based on the road crown. It's also wearing the tires poorly.

20231006_092031.jpg

skyking1

360_F_489394725_Oox6jg48u2K0FSk4RlPCzqkU7Qvu2BSu.jpg

you don't need a heavy rig like that doing the bump and crown steering at the end of a long day.

Welder Dave

My hats off to owner/operators of cranes. They seem to have to do a lot of maintenance and more involved repairs to keep them operating properly. At least the owners who look after their equipment like you and crane operator.