• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trees, Trees, and More Trees

crane operator

How did you find a empty parking lot at a apartment building, usually I get to play "find the car owner" for at least a couple hours before getting set up. Can't ask for much better than 1/2 way between the parking and the building.

John Griffin

How did you find a empty parking lot at a apartment building, usually I get to play "find the car owner" for at least a couple hours before getting set up. Can't ask for much better than 1/2 way between the parking and the building.
It's called a tow truck.

To the credit of the maintenance guys, we actually only had to have one towed. They were even in the handicapped spot and management refused to tow them at first. Someone is going to get reamed over the situation when they get our bill. We had to wait a bit over 3 hours for the car to be moved. We charge $250/hr for delays to to cars and equipment being left in our designated work zone. Bad thing is a storm came up and we had to call it. We would have been finished had we not had to wait on the car.

renovator

?
Any time a tow driver is dealing with soft ground-there is no point in over taxing the equipment.
didn't need a rotator, just two units working together. What do people think happened before
rotators cane along? I've removed loaded mixers and dumps with just two.
Regarding the rotators: if the only tool you have is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail. Why send a roll-back if you can bill for a rotator?

Truck Shop

Regarding the rotators: if the only tool you have is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail. Why send a roll-back if you can bill for a rotator?
And that's common--it's called spiking the job, happens all the time.

Welder Dave

Maybe a rotator in the 1st place depending on the situation. In the case of crane like this I think you'd you'd want to send out your heaviest truck or go out to the job first in a small vehicle to see what truck(s) should be sent. Would 1 rotator be more expensive than 2 standard heavy wreckers?

Welder Dave

The 75 ton Western Star rotator on Highway thru Hell was apparently $739,000 in 2012. In about 2020, I think, a custom built Kenworth with a Vulcan 50 ton conventional wrecker was around $600,000. I think those are both Cad. prices. In the same year I'd guess close to 200K difference. It probably depends a lot on what options are ordered. They mentioned the Kenworth was a wrecker and everything was custom and not a cookie cutter tow truck.

Natman

I love watching those big wrecker shows! At least we don't (usually) have to worry about getting run over by passing traffic, that looks pretty spooky. The ones with the outrigger beams that extend very low to the ground...., I guess they assume they'll not be working on many slopes. My pads are often almost touching the ground once the beams are extended due to the double fall line slopes I have to contend with.

Welder Dave

Really like your posts on tree service and removal. Never realized that big cranes were part of a tree service. I thought they might just call a crane rental when needed instead of owning the crane(s).

John Griffin

Really like your posts on tree service and removal. Never realized that big cranes were part of a tree service. I thought they might just call a crane rental when needed instead of owning the crane(s).
Glad you're enjoying them. We're the only one in our area with our own cranes. We end up helping multiple other tree services as a sub. This is in part because there's only one crane rental service that will do tree work in our area. They have three cranes total and no AT cranes. We rented a lot prior to buying a crane and really had a hard time getting enough rental time. When storms come through you have 15 tree services trying to get the same 3 cranes. They have a 2892 manitex, t340 terex, and an 8670 link belt.

John Griffin

Is it common to not use a man basket?
Yes. We tie our climbing system in above the ball on an ansi rated tie on just for that purpose. Its attached to a wired shut 3/4" shackle that is around the load line above the becket. You can't really use a man basket for our work. In this picture, I have three dead eye slings on the hook. I installed then on my way down the dead tree. Then I rappelled to the ground and made a cut. Most of the time where I go through a top, a man basket wouldn't fit. We also have to be able to hook slings and a basket would be in the way for that as well. We have used one before if we just need to cut apart a tall dead tree. They suck terribly to cut from. There's no way to keep their reaction down so you can't push or wield a chainsaw very well from them. I want to buy on that installs in place of the jib so it basically turns the crane into a big bucket truck.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

boaterri

Occupation
Retired Television Engineer
I hope that big ash log went to a small sawmill to be turned into lumber for a woodworker.