• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trenching - Rookie question

plantman.uk

Occupation
excavator operator
Depends what you are digging for...if there are cables/pipes in there then i tend to use a 'gummy' on it. If i'm digging virgin ground i always dig in layers...always safe...Always work within the machines reach...Put a good back on it from the start and work clean and tidy..

Darkie

Layers

Layers is the tidiest way to do trenches as you won't rip the sides of the trench out at the top, even when you start each section just run the teeth through the ground first it'll scar the surface and give you a nice line without again pulling the sides out at the top of the trench, also run the floor of the bucket along the surface on both sides to keep the top edge tight clean and compacted, and remember that when digging you will get the maximum break out force when your boom and dipper arm are at the point of forming a 90 degree angle

Laxin

Honestly, This helps me as well. I was working for a big company and now I'm in my 4 week of school. Any and all tips help. Good post.