• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

triple grinding waste timber

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
this is what i did between new year and christmas, a late rush job to grind waste timber at a local tip, they wanted it fine enough to use as litter/bedding in a chicken shed, ground it 3 times, was nery dusty

Attachments

• PC290001.jpg
    PC290001.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 953
  • PC290002.jpg
    PC290002.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 954
  • PC290003.jpg
    PC290003.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 919
  • PC300004.jpg
    PC300004.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 928
  • PC310010.jpg
    PC310010.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 954

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Nice pics!
Nice Magnum you got there, 500ps?
Would be nice with some more pics of the truck too..

PSDF350

Nice pics. Not to nit pick but wouldn't that be more waste wood rather than waste timber? I meen timber isn't pallets or doors. Timber is logs, stumps, and brush, isn't it. Still nice pics though.

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
Arkansas Terminology

Just remember these forums reach world wide and terminology from different regions may be different than where you are from.

Down here in Arkansas if it's bigger than a Board a few people will call it a Timber. :) A lot of people call skids timbers too.

Personally If it is around 2 feet long I call it a block, around 4 feet long then it's a skid, then a Tie and if it is over Tie Size then it's a Timber.

If I had a 6 foot long piece of tie laying around I would cut 2 feet off of the end and have both a Block and a Skid in order to avoid any confusion.:D

Iron Horse

G'day Pete , that grinder should be able to get carbon credits . It truly is good for the enviroment , being able to recycle waste timber like that is terrific . It does'nt stop there even , after it has been used for bedding it can be put through again to make compost , awsome . It is obviously paying it's way . How much maintanance does it require and what sort of running costs do they have ?

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
Nice pics!
Nice Magnum you got there, 500ps?
Would be nice with some more pics of the truck too..

not sure what 500 ps is, it has a cummins signature, 600 horsepower, 18 speed road ranger, it's an ugly truck however it has heaps of power and rides really nice.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
Nice pics. Not to nit pick but wouldn't that be more waste wood rather than waste timber? I meen timber isn't pallets or doors. Timber is logs, stumps, and brush, isn't it. Still nice pics though.

down under waste wood and waste timber are the same, it was trashy wood /timber though, pallets, demolition timber, waste plywood, also had plenty of steel, from reo bar, bolts, gas meters, lumps of concrete, bricks and lots of plastic,etc,

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
G'day Pete , that grinder should be able to get carbon credits . It truly is good for the enviroment , being able to recycle waste timber like that is terrific . It does'nt stop there even , after it has been used for bedding it can be put through again to make compost , awsome . It is obviously paying it's way . How much maintanance does it require and what sort of running costs do they have ?

i reckon i am nearly a greenie now reg, after the chickens are ready for slaughter ( i think about 10 weeks) they clean the shed out and use the litter which is full of chicken s..t as fertiliser, i think it is cheaper than superphosphate and it does work really well.as for running costs, fuel is $100 per hr (depending on price could be up or down 10% ) i think it costs around another $100 per hour for hammers, tips, screens, conveyors etc, that does not allow for long term wear like engine, hydraulic pumps,clutch/transmissinon and does not allow for the purchase price.
as for maintenance , greasing each day is only 10 minutes, you have to check the bolts that hold the tips on at least twice a day, 10 minutes each time, if you are hitting some steel it loosens the bolts so then you need to check them more often,particuarly as when you hit steel you often lose a tip, if you keep grinding with no tip it wears the hammer out very quicly, replacing hammers takes a few hours, fortunately we have not wrecked any hammers yet, prices of tips vary from $25 each to $100 each, depending on which type you are using, hammers are $500 each, you need to really keep on top of maintenace and generally keep your eyes open to look for things coming loose, in short if you keep on top of it all it does not give much trouble considering how hard it works, as i read somewhere on this forum, the start button is also the self destruct button..

Attachments

• P1040326.jpg
    P1040326.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 827
  • P1040334.jpg
    P1040334.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 827

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
Down here in Arkansas if it's bigger than a Board a few people will call it a Timber. :) A lot of people call skids timbers too.

Personally If it is around 2 feet long I call it a block, around 4 feet long then it's a skid, then a Tie and if it is over Tie Size then it's a Timber.

If I had a 6 foot long piece of tie laying around I would cut 2 feet off of the end and have both a Block and a Skid in order to avoid any confusion.:D

roddyo, im not that organised mate, i may call it, wood, timber, heads, stumps, logs, barrels, crap, trash and depending how tired/cranky i am some other names that i doubt i can use here.

roddyo

Occupation
Chicken Litter and Other Things

roddyo, im not that organised mate, i may call it, wood, timber, heads, stumps, logs, barrels, crap, trash and depending how tired/cranky i am some other names that i doubt i can use here.

I was just Playing on the timber M8.:)

The Chicken Litter is the way to go. We use it a lot on Row Crop ground that has been leveled, it brings the cuts that have almost zero organic matter up to speed pretty fast. Two things that most people don't realize is it holds almost 9 times its weight in water and has a list of trace minerals in it almost as long as your arm.:) This is 2 things fertilize doesn't have. I know with Cattle after using it a few years your mineral bill is a lot less.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
i knew it was good, ( i grew up on a dairy where my father used it ) although i did not know all the technical stuff, im feeling greener and greener,seeing as i dont like greenies i may start to dislike myself, i won another job today grinding waste timber/wood in a tip. i guesss the carbon footprint the 16 litre cat engine in the grinder evens it all up.

roddyo

Occupation
Feeding Chicken Litter to Cattle

i knew it was good, ( i grew up on a dairy where my father used it ) although i did not know all the technical stuff, im feeling greener and greener,seeing as i dont like greenies i may start to dislike myself, i won another job today grinding waste timber/wood in a tip. i guesss the carbon footprint the 16 litre cat engine in the grinder evens it all up.

Did you ever Feed Chicken Litter to your Cattle?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
, im feeling greener and greener,seeing as i dont like greenies i may start to dislike myself

Pete, I would say you are doing something real for the environment....;)

Great pics thanks for sharing.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
Pete, I would say you are doing something real for the environment....;)

Great pics thanks for sharing.
i guess your correct, probably doing more than most greenies.even though i do it for money i have to say i do get a kick out of what i do when the mulch is recycled in a beneficial way.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Tripple Grinding?

How do you go about grinding wood debries down smaller than what they come out the end of the grinder? Can you close down the grinder rolls on that style machine? I've never been around that style before. The only one I ever worked around was a big tub grinder. A Morbark 1300 I belive. What a monster though!
We had to grind 9 miles of road right-of-way brush and stumps this last summer and then place it over the slopes, for erosion controll. About the smallest piece I saw come out of that thing was mabey a 2"x10" chunk. (we lost a window in our 966 that was loading the trucks with the waste) Man that thing would throw some crap around!
Jason