• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

troubleshooting fermec engine wont start

h20fella

Hi, I have a Fermec 760b, has been running perfect for the 6 months Ive owned it. The other day, it stalled on me at the end of the day, and when I restarted it, the engine light came on, and it seemed to be chugging, alot less power, for about ten minutes, then was fine, engine light went out, power returned. I parked it, and when I went to start it the next day, it started fine, stalled, then engine light came on again, and would not start again. It was a cold and snowy day, so I thought it may be too cold to start, tried quick start, and it doesnt do anything, enging turns over fast, but doesnt seem to even try to fire up. I dont know much about this backhoe, had a really old case 580 c previously, which never failed to start. Can anyone point me in the right direction, as to what to look for first? Im guessing it may be a fuel problem, but are these engines hard to start in winter conditions? there is a plug for a block heater, how long should I have it plugged in for before trying to start it? Thanks, Kevin

bill onthehill

Fuel filters or ice in the supply lines from tank to engine. Usually block heaters need and hour or 2 to be very effective. Have you tried adding some kerosene to the fuel? That will help if the fuel is gelling. Best cure for gelling or ice is a good salamander heater and a tarp.