• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

truck wiegh stations

cat320

Charter Member
I'm curious after watching the movie Black Dog when the truck is pulling onto the station to get wieghed I notice other big trucks just going right by it .So why some and not others ? or was that just because it was a movie?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
It would depend on how the station is operating at the time. Sometimes the cops randomly pick trucks to come in to be weighed, other times the "All Trucks Must Stop" sign will be flashing and everyone must get weighed. Those who choose to ignore the sign will most likely have the rest of their day ruined.

Connecticut is notorious with their weigh stations, they're permanant fixtures and are very often open. They will cycle opening and closing to the traffic backup, I've waited in line up to 45 minutes to be weighed. They station 2 chase cars just past the entrance ramp to pick up scoflaws, these trucks are directed back to the scales then given a fine tooth DOT inspection.

mert0714

Charter Member
I think there may also be a type of a pass that can be purchased for specific circumstances that allows you to skip the scale. I think it may be placed in a certain part of the truck and an overhead reading device reads it when you pass by and you can go right by and not be stopped. At least I read something to that effect somewhere. It may be only in our area also.

PAYTON

Charter Member
Occupation
OPERATOR
theres a few new systems called impass or cabpass both are great systems and work off radar radio freq. the black boxs u see b4 the weight station over head are what reads the unit.

i dont know alot about the set up but seems pretty nice.

payton

triaxle

Occupation
CEO Mid-sized Grading Company
Weigh Stations

I didn't see Black Dog but I did drive a tractor trailer of band equipment for Travis Tritt, AC DC, Motley, Metallica, Prince, Chicago, Skynyrd and I live in the county where the mountain scenes for Black Dog were filmed, so I will try to answer.

Depending on parking spaces available, officers on duty, highway traffic, number of trucks sitting in line to be weighed, lunch schedule, local advisories or DOT bulletins or weather conditions, scale officials may choose to weigh, inspect the truck, permits, or paperwork, or ignore the truck.
If the trucks begin to back up onto the highway, the scale may let trucks go and close the scale entrance until traffic clears. They may also open and close the scale to confuse presumed illegal trucks waiting for the scale to close before they proceed.

In some states, the trucks are pre-weighed while in motion and then only the heavy loads and permit loads are stopped for weighing.