• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Turning/Barring tool number for a "Classic" Deere 310?

reddust

I've searched the manual but can't find the part number for a turning/barring tool for my old Deere 310 backhoe.

In the past I've used a long screwdriver but that is too "caveman." I may be looking at another fuel injection pump and need to turn the motor over.

Amazon list all sorts of tools. Which is the right one?

Thanks.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I'm right there with ya.. The last time I looked, there were 3 different ones for JD engines.. & at the price they want for 1.. its hard to buy 3.!!
So to answer the question.. IDK.. sorry

Delmer

What's wrong with turning the crankshaft pulley? turn it a tiny bit at a time, it's usually easy enough to turn by hand if you grab the belt and fan right.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
On that old puppy the tool should be JD281A ($129, combination turning tool/timing pin). Save your money. Delmer is correct. Engine should be easy enough to turn over by tensioning the belt with one hand and turning the fan with the other (watch those fingers). For a timing pin you can get the tool JDE 81-4 for about $3.50. Make sure the timing marks inside the injection pump window line up when the timing pin engages the flywheel hole to indicate TDC #1.

reddust

Thanks all. I have done this maybe four times in the past 30 years on this machine. PITA with the belt and using a screwdriver but they can work. I'm thinking perhaps it's time to get some real tools.

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
I have successfully used my Cummins C/B series barring tool on several John Deere 6466, 6068, 4045. Haven't tried it on my 4219, it is 100% more accurate and easier/safer than the other methods that's for sure.

AU.CASE

Occupation
Grazier // Rancher remote NSW
Interesting thread; Here in "outback" Australia it can be a CASE of make do with what you have and using a basic workshop I built a barring tool for our EU made 580SK to return the injector pump after its full rebuild.

Whilst not the same / similar for what it is worth; There is a discussion on HEF here.

View attachment 186541

Last edited: