• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Two-Speed Option Skid Steer

River Hill

Charter Member
I am still in the process of shopping for a skid steer. I will probably put a Blizzard 810SS on it. I was wondering for those of you who have used a 2 speed machine does it have enough power to move snow in the high speed mode? I have not decided on a brand yet as I am still shopping. I know the high speed mode will be great for moving from site to site, but I am mostly intrested in if I can move snow in the high speed mode. CAT is suppose to be coming out with a machine in February that will have High Flow and a 2 speed option. The only have one or the other as of now.

BRL

I used a Cat 95XT with 2 speed a couple of years ago. We got to plow with it also and it worked great plowing in high speed. Great machine IMO. Good luck!

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
I have a bobcat S250 with a 2 speed. Although I have never plowed snow with it I think it would probably work in high gear as long as you weren't pushing too big a pile. I have a 80 inch bucket that holds almost 1 yard of dirt and I can go up a pretty good grade with it full in high gear. If I stop on the hill, I switch to low gear to get going and then back to high gear. If you do plow in high gear, be sure to wear a seat belt in case you hit anything burried in the snow. The bobcat comes with a shoulder harness in all the 2 speeds and I can see why after using it in high gear. Things happen fast at that speed with such a short wheelbase.

earthwerks

I have a two-speed New Holland LS180. Love it. It can almost double cycle times, not good if you are charging by the hour LOL. My owner's manual says that the two-speed is for transporting a load not for working/digging/pushing. The engine and hydraulic system have to work much too hard in 2nd. It's sort of like driving a car with a manual trans in the wrong, higher gear--don't do it.