• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

UPDATE on D7E Issues.

SLK001

The D7E listed in this thread has had some updates that I want to announce. First, I replaced the alternator from this thread with a 24V one-wire" unit. Since the wiring on this beast was completely shot, I proceeded to completely rewire the whole unit, with additions and improvements. First off, the "one-wire" has a vampire current draw, so I connected it thru a 120 amp relay, switched on by a oil pressure switch. When the dozer starts, nothing is getting current for about two seconds, then the relay closes and the ammeter comes to life!

I had to do something about the battery situation. I went from this:
CAT_031.jpg

CAT_023.jpg

To this:
IMG_20240228_100011415.jpg

IMG_20240228_100035020.jpg

continued next post.

SLK001

IMG_20240228_100051455.jpg

IMG_20240228_100228457.jpg

As a bonus, I now have a working hour meter:

IMG_20240228_101014300.jpg

Also, last November, I flushed the cooling system, since it was overheating quite a lot (once I got a new engine temp gauge installed, I could finally tell). I had thought that the thermostats were bad. Trouble is, there WERE no thermostats AND the previous owner had put a SCREEN between the thermo housing and the radiator. This was clogged up with sediment, thus very little was getting cooled by the radiator. Three full radiator flushes, plus an acid flush, then a washing soda rinse cleaned almost all the sediment out of the system. I then filled her with a 50/50 antifreeze/distilled water mix. Now the machine runs quite happily, with the temp getting to the proper 165 degree mark and staying there.

One issue that I had, was the manual says that the cooling system holds 25 gallons. Try as I might, I could not get any more than 17 gallons into her. And this was each time I drained and refilled her. I fully drained all the drain points - engine block, oil cooler and radiator each time. I even tried to burp her, by driving along the contour of a hill, with one side up, then the other. But that didn't do anything.

The coolant level is still at the proper level, so I'm not going to worry about this.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
I don't know, you get use to it. Unfortunately, it is only a "2-way" control - UP or DOWN.
The one I had there was a pedal for my left boot to operate tilt . You may find there are all the valves needed to operate tilt under the panels disconnected . There is a cut slot in the panel shown in your picture that looks like the place

SLK001

The one I had there was a pedal for my left boot to operate tilt . You may find there are all the valves needed to operate tilt under the panels disconnected . There is a cut slot in the panel shown in your picture that looks like the place

How does it work? Does it vary the hydraulic pressures in each of the lifting cylinders? I often thought that some sort of a duplex control (a control for each cylinder) would allow some sort of tilting action of the blade.

I spent a lot of time under that panel (there is an important electrical junction there - see pic), but I don't remember seeing any hydraulics (but then, I wasn't looking for any). This is the only pic that I have of that area without the floor plate on. This is the view sitting in the seat. The front of the dozer is toward the top. The cutout mentioned would be right above the red wire at the top.

PHONE_0079.jpg

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
How does it work? Does it vary the hydraulic pressures in each of the lifting cylinders? I often thought that some sort of a duplex control (a control for each cylinder) would allow some sort of tilting action of the blade.

I spent a lot of time under that panel (there is an important electrical junction there - see pic), but I don't remember seeing any hydraulics (but then, I wasn't looking for any). This is the only pic that I have of that area without the floor plate on. This is the view sitting in the seat. The front of the dozer is toward the top. The cutout mentioned would be right above the red wire at the top.

View attachment 307053
That electrical junction probably has something to do with the conversion to direct electric start . Tilt for the blade is done with a ram fitted from the push arm to the top turnbuckle connection . Usually fitted to straight blades , like the one in the following photo . I have seen them on angle blades on smaller dozers . DSCN1638.JPG

SLK001

Yeah, I wasn't thinking correctly. Both hydraulic cylinders are connected to the C-frame of the blade, so varying the pressure in them won't accomplish much.