• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Urgently need to swap tracks on my 977H

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Hello everybody,
I desperately need to swap the tracks from my parts 977H to my other 977H, I've got a big job I need to get back onto on Monday with it... Getting the old tracks off of the good machine is no problem at all, in fact, one busted today, hence I stopped working... I managed to get it back together enough to move it out of the way but I can't work the machine as it is... The tracks are totally worn out. I had planned to switch them out before this job but didn't have time so I hoped they would make it... Well, they didn't...
Anyhow, my question is how likely is it that I'll need new master pins for the other set of tracks? THey're almost new, but haven't been used in 20 years so I'm very sure they'll be reluctant to come out... Also, what's the best way to get 'em out? Heat and a sledge, or is there an easier/better method?
Thanks!

grandpa

They shouldnt come out too hard. If they been sittn outside, that could make things a little more difficult. As far as gettn em out I weld a pin on a handle so I can get a good whallop on it....Then if no move add heat......good luck.

bunkclimber

track swop on 977H

I'd try to get the replacement tracks as close in line with the old ones on the machine before you start so you can drive off the old and onto the new.The master pins in your rails are probably welded in,I can't imagine your older "H" machine with a alligater tooth SALT undercarriage.I've burned the master pins out in the past with a oxyacet cutting torch,try to burn and sacrifice the pin and not the rail(link)-the pin is easy to replace,about $50/ea.You might be able to reuse the pin if you're good with a torch,but you usually wind up burning a lot of material out of the pin and lose a lot of it.The easiest place to cut the pin out is in back of the 977,on the rear drive sprocket.You might wanna take the track shoe off to make access easier with the torch.Once you burn it loose,drive it out with a punch and a maul.A forklift is really handy for the track swop for bumping the new tracks into place and lifting the ends to make the connection with the pin.If the replacement rails have been sitting long,try to heat the master pin link area up and put some candlewax around the link/pin area,maybe it'l loosen things up..I can't imagine they are so seized that a sledge cant drive 'em free.-Used/old 977H rails that are serviceable are hen's teeth,better post a guard..I drove 1600miles one weekend to get my last pair..best of luck

Komatsu 150

Rust is not going to make any particular difference in removing them. Interference fit was something like 10 thousandths - that is the pin is something like 10 thousands bigger than the hole. It was a normal thing to reuse the pins unless you were replacing the track. Master pins were never welded unless the fit was incorrect and they started coming out on their own, although I've seen some mechanics put a tack on the end as a matter of course. The Komatsu mechanic did it on our 150 when he split the track to work on the track motor.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Well we got 'er done... I didn't take any pictures because of the rain, of course it poured all day until we were just about finished... Actually spent more time getting the parts machine running enough to get it to a place where we were able to work on both machines, line them up, etc... When we got it all into place we simply (well, relatively speaking) bashed the master pin out of the new tracks, laid them straight out on the ground, then drove the other machine right up in front of it, split it's tracks, then backed the parts machine up to the end of the track and backed the other machine on the front half of the track. Then we used the 303 to drag the old track behind the parts machine, backed it onto the old track and put them back together. Repeated for the other side... Actually went really smooth! I'm going to put up some pictures of the job I was on in the other thread I started a few weeks ago! Thanks again for all the help guys! I really appreciate it!