• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Using Roller over residential utilities such as gas line

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
I have a Multiquip MR800G roller and a small reversible Multiquip plate compactor. Both have compaction force of about 5000- 6000 LB. I use them mostly for residential use compacting gravel base or gravel parking areas often right next to the house. I try not to ever compact over a gas line or waterline etc. Can anyone give me the correct contractor rule to follow? I'm in Washington State. While a gas line here should be buried 18-24" deep, they are often as little as 6".
Call before you dig markings are far from always being accurate. I would like to be able to compact the gravel over the gas line. I currently just hand tamper or roll over it with the roller, but with vibration off. Also, what is the biggest compaction force machine you can use next to a house, without causing homeowner damage or complaint?

Attachments

• Driveway work (1) - Copy.jpg
    Driveway work (1) - Copy.jpg
    569.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Mikasa MRH800 compactor Roller.jpg
    Mikasa MRH800 compactor Roller.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 2

skyking1

With small equipment like that, I've never experienced a problem nor have I hesitated to compact over other utilities. That's just my two cents.
I've got a pretty big hoe pack on the 120 and I've never damaged any piping with that either. I'm only tender with it when I know I'm over shallow piping that I just put in.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
The older gas lines and water lines here are pipe, while the newer ones are a more flexible hose line.
At what compaction force, does the compaction pounding get too crazy for 4-6" lift of 5/8 minus gravel. Could I use the largest diesel plate compactor or go with a front wheel roller compactor about 5-6' wide? For parking areas next to a house, I would like the gravel to not kick up much when you turn the wheels of a vehicle.

Attachments

• Roller Compactor.jpg
    Roller Compactor.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2