• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Valve Cover Gasket Kobelco SK150

wgwestervelt

I am new to excavators but just bought a 1998 Kobelco SK150 with the Cummings Diesel. Got a good deal on this machine I think (!) but it seems to have a minor oil leak. Guys with more experience help me out here.

Machine has 6000 hours and "leaks" about a quart every 24 hours (3 days) of operation. Current user justs adds the oil and lets it leak. Upon inspection top of engine is pretty wet and the guy who i bought it from said he tightened the valve cover bolts "as far as they would go" but figures from here is needs a new gasket. Seems reasonable to me as otherwise the machine runs fine and looks like the most likely candidate from looking at it.

I am figuring this is not a complicated job but wondering if anyone has any experience replacing this gasket. Once I get the machine this weekend I am going to clean the engine well and see if I can see for sure where the leak originates and take it form there.

There is also a "code 23" lit on the computer with the oil symbol, but the guy says this is just a reset at the dealer and he does not know how to do it.

Bill

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
On that little cummins they are single valve covers you need the gasket #3930906 & #3910824 for each cover and a few min each to change on of the symbols is for oil supply the other is for the change interval will have to check and see which is which

wgwestervelt

Many thanks dirthog! Yes, it was the interval code, this is what the prev.owner said. cant wait to change the gaskets and see if that does the trick. first I am going to clean this bad boy and see how it looks.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
On that little cummins they are single valve covers you need the gasket #3930906 & #3910824 for each cover and a few min each to change on of the symbols is for oil supply the other is for the change interval will have to check and see which is which

Glad to see your still here dirthog since you work with Kobelco machines. I haven't seen a post from you for a while. Haven't seen Mr Kobelco for a while either. Good to see at least of yun's here. :)

Many thanks dirthog! Yes, it was the interval code, this is what the prev.owner said. cant wait to change the gaskets and see if that does the trick. first I am going to clean this bad boy and see how it looks.

wg, if you have leaking valve cover seals, just be careful pressure washing in that area. Don't point your washer straight down between the covers, you can force water by the seal into the valve area. Point your washer from the side of the valve cover washing between two covers to the opposite side. You may still get a little water by seal, but not near as much. ;)

wgwestervelt

dirthog are those cummings numbers? My kobelco dealer does not recognize them. thanks - bill

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
yes there cummins kobelco does not supply any engine parts for the cummins engines any cummins dealer can get them or even a dodge truck dealer same basic engine.
we took on a couple of new lines Dressta & Terex pavers have been trying to learn some on them lol

wgwestervelt

yes there cummins kobelco does not supply any engine parts for the cummins engines any cummins dealer can get them or even a dodge truck dealer same basic engine.
we took on a couple of new lines Dressta & Terex pavers have been trying to learn some on them lol

Dirthog you know what series cumming engine is in this machine (SN 3931627)? I have to order the other parts for 6000 hour service.

Now that I have the machine of course I noticed a more serious issue - one track is moving a lot slower than the other. Have not started to evaluate but any hints on how to troubleshoot appreciated.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Dirthog described the engine having single valve covers, that sounds like it's probably a B series 5.9L Cummins engine. There should be a plate on the side of the front timing gear housing, just in front of the injection pump. That ID plate will have the engine numbers you need for ordering parts. Check this link and see if your engine looks something like this;

http://www.everytime.cummins.com/every/applications/construction/b_series_const.page

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
It is the B series but it will only be the B3.9 4 cyl

Cool dirthog, I'm not the Kobelco expert, that's your area of expertise. Pretty much same engine but 2 less cylinders. I still think there should be a Cummins tag on the timing gear housing.

BTW, have you check out the Kobelco thread started by Kith having a swing problem? You got any ideas?