• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

caycusion

The tanks had to be from the train given their location as the tracks crossed 100ft up the rd. And yes there is some more old junk close by.

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
Cool! Thanks for filling us in. Kinda figured that everywhere it was paved had been railway in the old days and that there may be more goodies in the woods. We enjoy cruising around and looking at the old stuff. We always talk about wanting to see the big trees in the area as well but too many huggers are always around for that. Those type of people don't seem to be as interested in old pieces of iron so at least we can be alone while admiring them...lol We'll have to go back someday soon and take a closer look.

Reg

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
My wife and I went for a 400km drive through the back roads on Saturday just to get away from it all. We had a good time cruising some new ground(to us) in the Caycuse/Walbran area. We came across a couple of railway artifacts along the way. I am guessing that there is much more to see if we knew where to look(hint, hint). We are assuming that the roller was used to compact the railway before laying down the ties? Were these tanks on the train or used in camp? The forward one almost appears to have a heat shield on it but it was wet on the more exposed side so I didn't get a good look? Anyway, I'm sure someone on here knows exactly what the stuff all was used for...

View attachment 131601
View attachment 131602
View attachment 131603
View attachment 131604
View attachment 131605

Reg

Not sure how that Iron got to the Caycuse M/L at Lacy Cr. . The rail road use to cross Lacy Cr.and follow Nixon for a little ways then switch back to climb up to the Caycuse Summit which is at the top of the hill on the truck road past Lacy Cr., after the rail road was torn up the grade was rebuilt as a truck road now called C4 . Near the bottom of that adverse truck road is the remains of a train wreck , which is where that Iron came from . In Ken Hallberg's Autobiography on pages 102 - 105 he describe's how the ONE SPOT a Climax Locie had a run away and ran into back of the Five SPOT'S loaded skeleton cars , which had started down the grade first . When I hauled logs off C4 I use to be able to see the wreck below the road grade where it had been left after the wreck , with all use able parts stripped off it . Kind of a shame people can't leave things alone .

camptramp

Occupation
Gordy I. Munns Lumber LT-101 with 9 axle Aspen lowbed rented from A.J.(Al&Joey Williamson) Heavey Haul Lowbed for moving Hitachi 450 Excavator from Victoria Water Shed to West side of Cowichan lake ( McKay Cr.) . First two pictures taken at Munns Chemainus Yard (Old Domans Mill site , equipment in back ground , would be part of the first big Ritchie Bros. Auction .)scan232.jpgscan233.jpgscan234.jpgscan235.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Moving Hitachi 450 Excavator from Victoria Water Shed to West side of Cowichan Lake ( Mckay Cr.) , on rented A.J .Hescan236.jpgscan237.jpgscan238.jpgavy Haul 9 axle hyd. Aspen lowbed . Legal with no bucket , very little fuel in tank .

camptramp

Occupation
Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Moving 009 Madill yarder from Mesachie Lake to the "Big Equipment Auction " at Chemainus in '05 . Gordy I. driving Madill , Oz Nelson driving HDX Hayes push truck . Route taken was scan245.jpgaround Lake Cowichan off highway to the Nitinat road system , over the height of land down the Nanaimo Lakes roads to the Copper Canyon Roads to Chemainus . Was a smooth trip except for clearing "Fair Leads" on top of tower at some "Rock Faces"

camptramp

Occupation
Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Madill faller - buncher working at Caycuse Camp site , some times in bigger timber , the faller - buncher needs a helping hand .Falling Caycuse campsite. 013.jpgFalling Caycuse campsite. 014.jpgFalling Caycuse campsite. 015.jpgFalling Caycuse campsite. 016.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , Tom's Cr. Art Nickerson driving the #41-154 Western Star logging truck being loaded by a 2850 Madill loader with processed wood from the #56-79 Madill 2850 Processor .July 14 04 001 (11).jpgJuly 14 04 001 (12).jpgJuly 14 04 001 (13).jpgJuly 14 04 001 (14).jpg