• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Always a pleasure to see a new member. Is there a reason for the sled being so unusually long?

That was not too long for a sled, especially if it was used as a cold deck machine. You needed a long sled to move easily in the brush. A short sled would hang up on just about everything.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
KPhelps...welcome aboard..Do you remember what years you worked at Pacific.??What department ??...Cory

KPhelps

Occupation
Dentist
KPhelps...welcome aboard..Do you remember what years you worked at Pacific.??What department ??...Cory

It was my dad that worked at Pacific, while I was out of the country at university. It would have been in the '75 - '77 vicinity. I recall him saying that he was mainly installing brake systems. He died in '95, so can't double check.

KP

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
I started there half way through 1977...Sounds like your dad was doing the air systems.Those were busy years at Pacific.....

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
That was not too long for a sled, especially if it was used as a cold deck machine. You needed a long sled to move easily in the brush. A short sled would hang up on just about everything.

I have seen a few cold decks in my day, such as a deck of ash that was left when the market for ash tanked one year.... made great firewood!

But back in the day, the only reasons I could come up with for a cold deck instead of loading hot onto trucks or rail cars would be either for a swing yarding application where the logs would be chokered again to swing to the road or rail head, or in the case of a road or rail head being under construction, but not quite completed, and still short of the landing. Am I close on this, or were there other reasons for cold decks? I would think the wood would begin to check after a while if it sat at the deck too long, unless the area got a lot of rain.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Gordy I. Munns Lumber , T-101 returning A.J. Heavy Haul 9 axle Aspen lowbed back to Northwest Bay after moving Hatachi 450 Excavator . Using trailer reload to remove Tandem Jeep - loaded onto back of lowbed to shorten over all length of empty lowbed . B.C. over lengthscan 1366.jpgscan 1367.jpg rules require a pilot car for this rig empty with Tandem Jeep engaged.

camptramp

Occupation
I have seen a few cold decks in my day, such as a deck of ash that was left when the market for ash tanked one year.... made great firewood!

But back in the day, the only reasons I could come up with for a cold deck instead of loading hot onto trucks or rail cars would be either for a swing yarding application where the logs would be chokered again to swing to the road or rail head, or in the case of a road or rail head being under construction, but not quite completed, and still short of the landing. Am I close on this, or were there other reasons for cold decks? I would think the wood would begin to check after a while if it sat at the deck too long, unless the area got a lot of rain.

It was common practice in the Railroad era to reach up a hillside beyond the reach of a Skidder or Slackline , using a Cold Decker yarder to yard logs to the Skyline Machine back spars creating Cold Deck Piles to be swung down to the Home Tree landing when the Skyline Machine reached the piles at the back spars .

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Camptramp,I need to know how the jeep is unhooked? Does he drop lowbed back then take jeep to the reload? If so,how does he get the bed under the jeep? Only way I see is to pull the bed around the reload and back under,correct? If not,then what am I missing?

camptramp

Occupation
Camptramp,I need to know how the jeep is unhooked? Does he drop lowbed back then take jeep to the reload? If so,how does he get the bed under the jeep? Only way I see is to pull the bed around the reload and back under,correct? If not,then what am I missing?

Never had much to do with highway lowbeds . To get the Heavy Haul Jeep on to lowbed , I would drop the lowbed in the clear then drive under trailer reload unhook Jeep , lift it into the air , hook back up to lowbed and back under Jeep , then lower Jeep on to lowbed deck .

camptramp

Occupation
Gordy I. Munns Lumber , #T-101 lowbeding an ex BCFP Hayes HDX water truck at Barge Ramp at Duke Point . not sure if was going to another camp or returning from a camp . I think this truck was once a sand truck at Caycuse Div. . One time in the mid 1980's Renfrew Div. borrowed this truck , I was sent over to bring it to Renfrew Div. , it had a V-12 Detroit with 6x4 mixing sticks trans in it . I checked the oil and water , fired it up and checked the brakes and tires . All was well so I headed back to Renfrew Div. . Got up the road out of sight of camp , as the engine seem gutless , I stopped to have a look in the sand box to see if it was loaded , nope not a grain of sand in it . Tried again got a couple of miles out of camp , stopped again to see if the brakes were dragging , no slack adjusters were hung up all scan 1369.jpgthe brake drums were stone cold . That old V-12 was just plain tired , it made for a long slow day .

DonBC

Occupation
Retired mechanical engineer.
If you click on "The Last Whistle" it also takes you to their news letter. About three years ago in a conversation with Cec Ashley I found out that he had worked in the logging industry and I told him about Heavy Equipment News and their forestry section. He has been a faithful follower since then. I also showed Doug Harrison this web site and this topic one time when he was at our house. As we scrolled through the pictures he would often stop me and say " I know that truck, I bought that when I worked with M&B". I tried to get him interested in this site as I thought that he would know many of the people as well. He had dinner with us on Sunday I asked him again and he said that because he is uncomfortable with computers he has never gone to this site. I enjoy it as I know nothing about the logging industry. My early background is all about farming in Saskatchewan.

HDX

We stumbled into some nice spruce today. Usual suspects involved. In the background you can see Glen Baird with his super snorkel yarding wide right of way. Mark is out front of him and he's hoe-chucking/loading.
IMG_2933.jpgIMG_2934.jpgIMG_2935.jpgIMG_2936.jpg