• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
I may be wrong, but it would seem that grapple skidders would be faster and more economical in that terrain. Was hoe chucking specified for less ground destruction, or am I missing something here?

As a young lad, I sat on the bank of Higgins Slough in Central Park, WA back in the mid Sixties, and watched Roberts Brothers Logging "hoe chuck" a swamp with small Unit brand shovels and 'scissors booms' that they designed. There are a couple of photos here, in the "Cable Shovels" thread, I believe. They could actually walk the shovel out of a wet spot by dropping the tongs on the boom tip hard into the ground for traction, and letting the shovel pull itself out. How I wish I had some video of that little operation!

Last edited:

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
I may be wrong, but it would seem that grapple skidders would be faster and more economical in that terrain. Was hoe chucking specified for less ground destruction, or am I missing something here?

As a young lad, I sat on the bank of Higgins Slough in Central Park, WA back in the mid Sixties, and watched Roberts Brothers Logging "hoe chuck" a swamp with small Unit brand shovels and 'scissors booms' that they designed. There are a couple of photos here, in the "Cable Shovels" thread, I believe. They could actually walk the shovel out of a wet spot by dropping the tongs on the boom tip hard into the ground for traction, and letting the shovel pull itself out. How I wish I had some video of that little operation!

I'm not an authority on forestry policy , but when I first started in the woods Feb. 1966 there was a fair amount of Cat logging going on , and had been since the Cat had been perfected , the first Rubber Tire Skidder arrived in the summer of 1966 . I also remember the scaring on the hillsides from past Cat logging combined with the high rain fall on the West Coast of B.C. By the end of the 1960's Cat logging was a thing of the past . I know there are still some Rubber Tire Skidder's working around this part of the coast , but the Hoe Chucking method appears to leave the hillsides in better shape .

camptramp

Occupation
The pics of the new 3800c look pretty tasty. I could be talked into one of those, in a heartbeat.

They haven't changed much , but those pictures were taken from the early to mid 2000's . Madill has had its ups and downs since the Madill family sold the Company , But the people that developed their products did a good job on their finished machines . The manufacturer has changed but the machines are still made for loggers .

camptramp

Occupation
Bruce W. Timberwest HBO , Shawnigan area , I've got to admit , I use to get the Loader Operator to drag the cinches over the Off Highway Logging Truck loads , but I was always able to throw the cinches over a highway logging truck load . Poor Mike's getting over the hill .Nov. 25, 02 001.jpgNov. 25, 02 002.jpgNov. 25, 02 003.jpgNov. 25, 02 006.jpgNov. 25, 02 009.jpg

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Upon reflection, I would think there is also a whole lot less silt in the stream beds since they got away from Cat logging.

camptramp

Occupation
Camptramp,I have been following the posts and Bruce W. Did he get all these machines new? The 075,098,101 and 106?

I'm not sure if Bruce got the #56-75 new or not , but when he hung up his calk boots and moved from tail blocks Tending Hook , into a cab , it was the #27-10 a brand new Madill 009 . After a stint running yarder , he moved onto loaders , a Loraine Hydraulic , TL-15 Washington ,TL-6 Washington American , Northwest line loaders , Chapman Hydraulic , Then got the #56-36 a brand new Kobelco Hoe Chucker , then the #56-098 , #56-101 , #56-106 Madill Hoe Chuckers . His track record of getting a good days work out of a machine , maintaining it , with out beating the crap out of it speaks for its self .