• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vintage diesels...is there hope for a dying business?

Brodiesel

Occupation
My wife makes all the $$$.
Some of you are wise in the realm of small business, I need some input on this because I feel like I'm investing too much of myself for something that I don't really have control of.

I'm currently working hourly for a guy in Stockton, he's the 3rd generation owner of a business started 60 years ago. Once a primary dealer of the Detroit Diesel brand employing 30+ people, they now just have a couple guys left building mostly 2-Stroke Detroits for customers nationwide. IS THERE ABSOLUTELY ANY WAY this business will survive 5-10 years from now? Here I am at home on a Sunday fabricating an engine adapter plate for an old engine stand they have, I'm not getting paid for this, I'm just passionate about this work and want to see his business keep moving but whats the point? I'm going to work for Union Pacific in two weeks and and wont be able to dedicate that much time for him.

Is there a market for strictly the antique and hard to find/obsolete? Theres got to be 1,000's of these engines still out there in need of rebuilds or support but is it my place to really care? In a year or two his main mechanic and parts guy will mostly likely have moved on so what then? The owner is not a wrench so he doesn't get down and dirty he just gets the work in and out and pays the bills. Also, jumping into building a more modern line of engines is out of the question given the tool and labor investment would be huge and risky. What to do what to do....

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I have no doubt there's a niche for somebody. I have friends in other areas of expertise that make great side money and/or a good living. I do the same on the side myself. I don't mess with newer stuff. Half of what I work on was built before I was born. The key is to know what it costs to make said repairs and price the work accordingly. With that said most the the guys tinkering with older stuff do so as a hobby so you won't make a killing. You seem to be situated around a lot of parts that could be had cheap which is a huge advantage. It would take a lot of time but you very well could become a goto guy for the old stuff. Just like your current employer there are a lot of guys retiring or dying off and with them goes the knowledge. If you love it be smart about it and make a nice niche for yourself.

In this day and age of technology you can get your name out fairly easy, evaluate potential projects and even ship stuff for a fair price. Idk what the railroad will think of you working on the side. My boss knows but I also know who butters my bread and to keep things in check......

I'll be your midwest rep!

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Bell bottom jeans went out of fashin but one day they will come back as something new and the marketing will say you have to have them. Just when is the question.;-)

Brodiesel

Occupation
Bell bottom jeans went out of fashin but one day they will come back as something new and the marketing will say you have to have them. Just when is the question.;-)

But I'm wearing bell bottom jeans right now!! The time is now!!!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Haha I almost said the same thing! I hear my older girls talking about stuff being so new and trendy. I laugh to myself as I recall that stuff back when I was in school.

Brodiesel

Occupation
Thanks Jeff. So my concerns aren't necessarily with how I could benefit, I'd rather just get paid hourly by him and jump in when theres work and I have extra time. The railroad doesn't really care what you do outside of work as long is its not drugs. I have already done "the running my own business thing" and it cost me over $100,000 so I'm not going that route. The guy is just stressed out all the time and constantly reminisces about the old days and how things used to be.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I have a friend that's the same way. Tries to relive his youth! I'd say if it works and you have the time go for it. You'll learn some more new stuff and may end up with your choice of tools etc when he finally hangs it up.

The past is just that unfortunately. My former inlaws own a diesel injection shop and their business model hasn't changed in decades and they wonder why they're just getting by.....

Brodiesel

Occupation
Actually I just started free ballin' again, aka commando. This whole thick jeans in the summer just aint good for the crotch you know.

StanRUS

2-cycle Detroit business in S.Cal was killed off mid-90s. Pedco (Virgil Cooley) Santa Fe Springs is permanently closed, other 2-cycle players passes away.
Legally you can use 2-cycle 1,000miles or 100hrs per year, that keeps changing!

Bit of research, Ironman 2007 wanted to purchase Pedco for few $million, the deal is still going through court.

Last edited:

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
There is a HUGE market for the 2 strokes on the water.. The problem is, most everyone you call wants to "repower" it.. saying, you cant get parts or its not worth fixing.. SO the customer "Chevy wires" it together till something else falls off & try again..
10 YEARS as a MAIN BUSINESS?? I say NO.. BUT if YOU learn & know the product, they'll come to YOU..
I'm not going to say your stupid for doing something you LOVE [building an adapter plate].. BUT.. small business owners THRIVE/PREY on guys like you & me.. YOU see it as helping.. he sees it as saving 500.00 & not costing him a dime.. Think about it.. Take it in & ask 250.00 for it & see what he says..??
You'll find out REAL QUICK if I'm right..

Brodiesel

Occupation
2-cycle Detroit business in S.Cal was killed off mid-90s. Pedco (Virgil Cooley) Santa Fe Springs is permanently closed, other 2-cycle players passes away.
Legally you can use 2-cycle 1,000miles or 100hrs per year, that keeps changing!

Bit of research, Ironman 2007 wanted to purchase Pedco for few $million, the deal is still going through court.

Didn't Ironman close their doors? Last year they auctioned off their entire shop.

Brodiesel

Occupation
There is a HUGE market for the 2 strokes on the water.. The problem is, most everyone you call wants to "repower" it.. saying, you cant get parts or its not worth fixing.. SO the customer "Chevy wires" it together till something else falls off & try again..
10 YEARS as a MAIN BUSINESS?? I say NO.. BUT if YOU learn & know the product, they'll come to YOU..
I'm not going to say your stupid for doing something you LOVE [building an adapter plate].. BUT.. small business owners THRIVE/PREY on guys like you & me.. YOU see it as helping.. he sees it as saving 500.00 & not costing him a dime.. Think about it.. Take it in & ask 250.00 for it & see what he says..??
You'll find out REAL QUICK if I'm right..

Good advice, I'm charging SOMETHING for this plate and your probably right. Just to get my hourly pay felt like a business deal I had to haggle.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Being in the same state as you, I see about 2 Detroits a year since they have been mostly banned. Looking at this site, though, I see lots that still have them. Way back when they still existed I called a DD guru for help on one. He was getting ready to retire even then.

So advertise nationwide. Make sure you are making good money is step 1. You are going to have a lot of phone calls and tire kickers I am sure. Going to have to include that in the business model. But I'm sure there's enough units out there to keep 1 guy busy for many years. You have to get the reputation, though. Rise above the hacks. And provide peace of mind for the customer however you can accomplish it.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Get a parts base>> know WHERE to get them & who to talk to for parts & tech advice when needed..
Knowing the product IS NO GOOD if you don't have the parts to fix the problem..
So start looking over shoulders & keep a DETAILED reference of locations, names & #'s..
I relied SOLELY on my daytime work for parts.. THEN I went out for almost a year.. kinda hard to order parts from work if your not AT WORK.. I HAD TO call & set up accounts w/ MULTIPLE companies..
Now I don't even bother going thru work.. I just call the vendors up, give them my name,acct # & the parts are on my door step..
Hopefully, sometime soon, going to work, will entail getting on my golf cart & driving thru the BACK YARD..

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Being the source of knowledge and parts is half if not more of the battle. You might be in a good spot now to gather info and connections for parts. If I stumbled into a pile of motors and spares anywhere in the country that was priced right I'd buy the lot and send containers to be loaded up. Then again I tend to think big.....

td25c

I started the fashion on the buzz haircut. Only thing is it took 40 years for the rest of the buzzers to catch up. I still buzz the wee bit that's left.

I was styling the bowl hair cut , tee shirt & flower pants back in 1973 .

It was all cool given I was on a Green machine that made allot of noise . LMAO ! :D

http://www.heavytruckforums.com/showthread.php?263-Some-Holmes-750-action&p=2598&viewfull=1#post2598

Hair is thinning a little now . Age creeping up but still making noise & movin dirt :)

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Used to be a mobile Murphy mechanic that came around....you would schedule the visit in advance so he could plan his route.

No idea if it still happens.

Ed

StanRUS

Didn't Ironman close their doors? Last year they auctioned off their entire shop.
Yep, out of business! Lost their A$$ on emissions installs, not their fault. "Ironman’s after tax profit in both 2013 and 2014 exceeded $1.3 MM. However, the previous couple of years were difficult for Ironman. The supplier of one of their main products (Cleaire) experienced a recall and subsequently went bankrupt. Ironman lost roughly $10,000,000 when their product in inventory became worthless, and they could not service their trucks until a replacement product was found and verified".

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Bumpsteer, I know what you mean.. Every couple of years our test stands need to be certified.. there was 1 guy in the country who did it.. He stayed on the road, in the air & in hotels, 50 weeks outta the year..
He's no longer w/ us & theres no one to take his place.. I had a problem several weeks ago & called the manuf.. they said, "I don't know what to tell you".. WHAT??