• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo 160CL final drive

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
2010 volvo 160CL ser #120717. One of the final drives leaks the 80-90w out of it. its not overfull just has a decent leak out of seal. Does anybody know if any special tools are needed to pull it apart?

Anything special needed to install the new seal? not afraid to tackle it , just planning ahead.

Thanks

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
Being prepared must be the correct way to get results, you will need some bungs on hand as fluid will run from the lines draining the tank.
I can get hold of the section from the manual if that would be of help.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• GI Metal seal replacement.pdf
    655.4 KB · Views: 11

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
So, to add to what's already been posted by Uffex, Simple hand tools. It's easier to do on the vertical vs horizontal. It all depends on whether you can split the track comfortably. Depending on vintage, the brake, hi speed and case drain may be O-ring face seal or BSPP. The flange hoses will most definitely be sch 62 high pressure.
In the past, I have done them in frame. It's dicey, you don't have leverage and the planetaries don't cooperate, but it can be done.
Improper cleaning and frozen mud are the biggest enemies of the floating seal. Definitely want a pressures washer handy, if possible.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Yes CO we have tunes working. got an adapter cord that worked with an off the shelf radio. thanks for the car options tip.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
So, to add to what's already been posted by Uffex, Simple hand tools. It's easier to do on the vertical vs horizontal. It all depends on whether you can split the track comfortably. Depending on vintage, the brake, hi speed and case drain may be O-ring face seal or BSPP. The flange hoses will most definitely be sch 62 high pressure.
In the past, I have done them in frame. It's dicey, you don't have leverage and the planetaries don't cooperate, but it can be done.
Improper cleaning and frozen mud are the biggest enemies of the floating seal. Definitely want a pressures washer handy, if possible.
I thought about doing it in frame. maybe I will rethink that and remove the whole thing. thanks

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Good day
Being prepared must be the correct way to get results, you will need some bungs on hand as fluid will run from the lines draining the tank.
I can get hold of the section from the manual if that would be of help.
Kind regards
Uffex
If you don't mind the manual information would be helpfull. thanks.

code_xi

Legal robbery. Seems there is also some cheaper after market alternatives available? Or will there be quality issues...

Appreciated to see some pictures how this will continue. Planning same operation for my EC210CL.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
Hey Farmerlund, please say you haven't bought it yet, I can have one to you in a week for half that price
Edit just realised that is your invoice not a quote.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Hey Farmerlund, please say you haven't bought it yet, I can have one to you in a week for half that price
Edit just realised that is your invoice not a quote.
yep its mine. they had it in stock. do you have a good Volvo parts source? I am going to have to start looking. that crap is redickulas.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
Hi Farmerlund, yes the company I work for supply's Volvo Construction parts, genuine, OEM and aftermarket. We have a few customers now in the states in a pocket in Georgia for some reason.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
Where you been all my career?;)

The wrong side of the pond and the wrong side of poor exchange rates for the last few years unfortunately, it's getting better, Not every thing is massively cheaper, but we try to be.

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
Find your SLP dealer in the USA they supply tons of aftermarket Volvo, our cost from SLP supplier is $275.69USD. Mind you your dealer will mark that up. Your closest probably Van Keppel in Iowa. Shipping won't be much to you.