• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo D11 - is it worth buying?

colson04

I've been on the search for a tandem dump for almost 2 years, limited budget. Found a 2001 Volvo with a 15 ft bed, low sides which would work well for me. Frame looks good, crossmember on bed are good.

Seller says his driver ran it out of fuel and now it needs priming. Seller is moving states and wants truck gone quick. Truck is 90 minutes away, so fairly close. Seller is asking $7500.

Thoughts? If it's just bleeding a fuel system, that can be done easy enough (unless the D11 is difficult to do so)

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Something doesn’t sound right for that price, and they are fleeing the state for something that easy to supposedly to fix and that’s the only problem. Run fast as possible away is my opinion.

colson04

I know. Sounds to good it probably is.

How about a freightliner with a big cam cummins? Seller says it runs fine, but sometimes has a miss. Claims they're downsizing and looking to get rid of most of their equipment.

colson04

My other options are two seperate L8000 s for sale. One with an 8.3l cummins, one with a 7.8l ford. Both are old plow trucks and look rough. Tandems, walking beam, lift axle ahead of drives.

Tyler d4c

My other options are two seperate L8000 s for sale. One with an 8.3l cummins, one with a 7.8l ford. Both are old plow trucks and look rough. Tandems, walking beam, lift axle ahead of drives.
Those trucks a turtle could out run pulling up some hills that we have around here.

suladas

Those trucks a turtle could out run pulling up some hills that we have around here.

I really liked my 7.8 Ford, so good on fuel and quiet, but it had a picker on it so it was perfect for that, not something that's on the road all day. It was gutless with the deck empty and it only weighted around 35,000lbs.

Tyler d4c

I really liked my 7.8 Ford, so good on fuel and quiet, but it had a picker on it so it was perfect for that, not something that's on the road all day. It was gutless with the deck empty and it only weighted around 35,000lbs.
I guess around here we all get caught up in the rat race 800 horse triaxles are not a rarity. I cry about the 435 horse c12 powered snail of a tandem dump we have at times. I must be in a hurry ;)

colson04

I'm used to the Fors 7.8L. There's 3 of them on the farm. Same vintage, same engine, same trans, same performance. They don't do anything fast, but they do it consistently and seem to go all day long. We've had trans problems in all three, but the engines have been super dependable.

Owner of the L8000 with 8.3 won't respond back. It shows he read my message, but hasn't responded.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I'm used to the Fors 7.8L. There's 3 of them on the farm. Same vintage, same engine, same trans, same performance. They don't do anything fast, but they do it consistently and seem to go all day long. We've had trans problems in all three, but the engines have been super dependable.

Owner of the L8000 with 8.3 won't respond back. It shows he read my message, but hasn't responded.
Then I say stick with the 7.8L for availability of parts you have on hand, familiarity and simplicity to order any parts since you already know most part numbers and where to get them.

colson04

I'm trying to keep it under $10k. I know that doesn't buy me a beauty queen. Usually buys something needing tires, possibly brakes, probably has oil leaks and maybe air leaks. And in Michigan, quite probably rust, but not always. My grandpa bought a 30 year old truck for $11k that was rust free. Only had a 7.8L and an Allison, but its been very dependable. There are some trucks around like that, but they usually go quick. I've seen a lot of equipment come on the market recently with pre-covid type prices. One of the sellers I talked to earlier today said he can't keep drivers for his dump truck so he's selling off.

I'll just keep waiting and looking. I don't have to have a truck tomorrow, but I would like something before year end.

suladas

I'm trying to keep it under $10k. I know that doesn't buy me a beauty queen. Usually buys something needing tires, possibly brakes, probably has oil leaks and maybe air leaks. And in Michigan, quite probably rust, but not always. My grandpa bought a 30 year old truck for $11k that was rust free. Only had a 7.8L and an Allison, but its been very dependable. There are some trucks around like that, but they usually go quick. I've seen a lot of equipment come on the market recently with pre-covid type prices. One of the sellers I talked to earlier today said he can't keep drivers for his dump truck so he's selling off.

I'll just keep waiting and looking. I don't have to have a truck tomorrow, but I would like something before year end.

Looked at auction prices today here, I was amazed how cheap the dump trucks went. Could have been junk for sure but a 87 Ford 9000 with a 3406 for $5400 that runs and drives. It was the same thing in other trucks though like a 95 WS series 60 with a picker on it for $7500.

Will be different everywhere, but i'm betting by spring prices will be way lower then they are now at least here.

Truck Shop

What's a bc 4 and why wouldn't you touch it?

It was a interim engine that was a guinea pig of sorts. Mainly the cooling system-low flow. Also used the
401 series jakes which are hard to get parts for/need to update to 425 model-expensive. Some the
thermostats are obsolete. Although they use lower press fit liners, the main bolts are only 3/4" and only
torque to 255. The caps have a tendency of creeping, most need line bore. Not a terrible engine but
Cummins made others that were a lot better.

Will be different everywhere, but i'm betting by spring prices will be way lower then they are now at least here.

That's true in some cases-people will have culled their junk and kept what was good. That's what is going
on right now a lot of junk on the market. be awhile before prices drop.