• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo EC210CL Fuel issues

Raycoray

Hi,

Serial - VCEC210CL0012080X
We got this machine few weeks back
- every time to start first time in morning we had to use the hand primer on fuel filter

it would stay going for an hour maybe or longer than would die out again as if air is slowly getting into system

comes up clogged fuel filter on dash

I’ve done the following in order with first to last

changed fuel filter and inspection bowel
Didnt help so I had ordered the filter type without the clear inspection bowel at bottom and that also did not work

I will change hoses from tank to filter and filter housing to high pressure pump

I’ve searched the threads and I’ve seen some guys have high pressure fuel pump issues and the relief valve on rail
? I hope the hose changing will
Solve but I’m not sure it will.

Thanks guys - I’ve inculded pics of serial plate

Attachments

• 3970534D-1916-4E92-A61D-84C7F5E0B712.jpeg
    3970534D-1916-4E92-A61D-84C7F5E0B712.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 1802267A-BCC5-4312-A52B-0AC2BF7C5232.jpeg
    1802267A-BCC5-4312-A52B-0AC2BF7C5232.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • C3A75FB9-0A46-418B-A384-0484480BA608.jpeg
    C3A75FB9-0A46-418B-A384-0484480BA608.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 57B29D5B-DEFE-482A-B72B-FA43852BE9B8.jpeg
    57B29D5B-DEFE-482A-B72B-FA43852BE9B8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14

Raycoray

Ok so that was clean - same as usual has to prime the fuel filter just now to start it

going about an hour - went to track and it cut out - I must say it does seem to cut out more so when I’m tracking ?? But always when I go to machine in morning it needs to be hand primed to start - going to change some hard hoses on low pressure side this week. Noticed few now seem to be quite hard and slightly cracked

but any suggestions would be great

Raycoray

Good day
Have you tried the OEM fuel filter?
Kind regards
Uffex
These Baldwin owns are a top filter brand // the old one was an original also. Both same issue. I’ve spotted a few hoses with cracks that are sweating slightly - gonna do them and take it from there. Just odd when it’s tracking it seems to cut out. That’s worrying me slightly

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
A couple of points that may be worth a check, inside the tank you have a screen filter if this gets semi blocked as well as the gear pump which has a couple of check valves allowing bypass when priming, both can cause loss of fuel pressure. As best, I recall the machine will burn more power and fuel when tracking, this could account for fault showing up when travelling. I suggest to plumb a pressure gauge into the feed side of the fuel filter, you are looking for approx 5-7 bars.
Kind regards
Uffex

Raycoray

Good day
A couple of points that may be worth a check, inside the tank you have a screen filter if this gets semi blocked as well as the gear pump which has a couple of check valves allowing bypass when priming, both can cause loss of fuel pressure. As best, I recall the machine will burn more power and fuel when tracking, this could account for fault showing up when travelling. I suggest to plumb a pressure gauge into the feed side of the fuel filter, you are looking for approx 5-7 bars.
Kind regards
Uffex

Ok what gear pump ? As in high pressure fuel pump ?

I would have thought their be a 12volt primer pump to pressure up to high pressure pump on first turn of key

every time in morning when I go to start I have to hand prime to let air out and fill the filter with diesel than she starts easily until she cuts out again. I did ask another guy I had on it last night did it cut out when tracking and he said now he wasn’t. I don’t wan t to confuse the thread.

I’ll plumb in but cannot see me getting that pressure. It must be a cracked hose somewhere. Thanks
For the info I’m going asleep I’ll see how busy my day is tomorrow and I’ll pick up a pressure guage when getting hose. God I love this forum. It’s the simple things. Thanks again.

We sell plant and machinery - I don’t like rushing into big repair work just take it one step at a time. Only way. It’s usually something simple… always sign of a good mechanic when he starts with from the fuel tank to high pressure pump not straight to high pressure pump and injectors !! Those people aren’t mechanics they are people who enjoy giving bad news most of the time and haven’t a clue !!

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
The fault code is over a year and a half old, so I very much doubt that has anything to do with the fault you are currently having. is that a new water trap filter head? with new primer? so should be no issues there, have you looked at the PRV ( Pressure Relief Valve ) on the end of the fuel rail? if that's periodically sticking open and dumping pressure it could cause the problems you are describing.
@Acecadet mentioned, it does have the belt driven low pressure pump. it would be worth removing it, stripping and cleaning it, there is a none return valve in there.

Attachments

• EC210Cl fuel system.pdf
    147.1 KB · Views: 16

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
See attched may answer your questions.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• 210C FuelSys.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 14

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
So far, you've been given solid advice. I personally recommend only OEM filters when it comes to Volvos. Having been a dealer mechanic for years, one thing was most frustrating. Aftermarket, will-fit filters caused me a lot of lost time in troubleshooting. I got to the point where if they weren't factory, they were the first thing I changed. Amazing how many problems that one thing solved.
Stay away from the safety valve on the rail end. If that were faulty, you likely wouldn't start at all. You're on the right path. Focus on the low side. It certainly sounds like starvation. Is there any chance you can rig up a vacuum gauge at your water separator leading to the lift pump? We don't want to see more than 4" at full throttle, no load. No more than 6" full throttle against stall, ie stalled tracks.
Also mentioned ,was close inspection of the belt driven lift pump. These have been relatively trouble free in the excavator application. That said, these machines are getting some age on them so it shouldn't be overlooked. It's a pretty simple solution. Just check the pulley (belt unloaded) for wobble or fore / aft play on shaft. Most importantly, look for dust collection that smells like fuel. That's a dead giveaway.
Good luck

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
The pump illustration is from the B series, just to give the guy the correct location and idea what to go for.
There have been a few cases of pump trouble this side, we always recommend removing the pump to take it apart and clean the stuck check valves, not very tolerant to contamination. Checking the output pressure will be the correct way to point post filter or pre-filter.
Kind regards
Uffex

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I believe the attached description is identical to that posted by Uffex. The fuel pump is basically the same internally. Again, I'd check the pulley for stinky dirt before I disassembled anything.
Good luck.

Attachments

• fuel sys desc.pdf
    466.9 KB · Views: 14
  • feed pump.pdf
    395.8 KB · Views: 11

Raycoray

Thanks for help guys

today I took off the low pressure fuel hose from tank to filter and filter to HP pump - no leaks on pressure testing

I left the fuel cap slightly off to check if it was causing issue and wasn’t as it still stalled about an hour in

going to check strainer in fuel tank tomorrow and OEM filter