• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvos New Machine

DirectTech

Occupation
Mechanic
So two weeks ago we had a nice new arrival to our shop, it was one of Volvo new feller Buncher lines, this thing is a monster. It has the same engine as a A30D pumping out 325hp, it has five pumps running the function, it is awesome.

Attachments

• buncher-1.jpg
    buncher-1.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 2,148
  • buncher-2.jpg
    buncher-2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 2,139
  • buncher-3.jpg
    buncher-3.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 2,141
  • buncher-4.jpg
    buncher-4.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2,132
  • buncher-5.jpg
    buncher-5.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 2,131

DigDug

Beautiful looking machine! Does it have some front glass protection?

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Nice looking machine:drinkup

No protection on the front other than it is 1" thick lexan

Yeah, for about a week, then it'll be so scratched up you can't see out of it... always amazes me how easy it is to scratch and scuff SAFETY glass:Banghead

bkellyvtme

Occupation
CBP/ Logging as side business
Nice machine for sure! But I wonder what the price tag is? I know anything forestry related you have to trade in your first born or other multiple body parts.

Dom

Volvo bought Direct a few years ago, I wonder if these machines are based on the old Direct.

The Direct were made in Northern Quebec, and were made specifically for the forestry industry. They were tough, and well known.

Dom

Nice looking machine:drinkup

Yeah, for about a week, then it'll be so scratched up you can't see out of it... always amazes me how easy it is to scratch and scuff SAFETY glass:Banghead

Marguard doesn't scratch as bad as regular safety glass.

1" is about right. I already saw a machine come in the shop with a piece of chain dangling throught a 1/2" lexan window.

http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/chain_shot.htm

Deereman

Nice machine for sure! But I wonder what the price tag is? I know anything forestry related you have to trade in your first born or other multiple body parts.

Thats for sure. But man this is one sharp looking machine. I guess cause it looks alot like a deere.lol I would love to run one to see what it has!

grapple1

direct was weak, never did take off, friend of mine ran a bunch of their engineering machines. lots of breakage. Volvo did buy direct. they are serious and will have a learning curve. they poached some good bodies to focus on forestry. they have a long way to go to touch the J series deere and the tigercats. Cat is doing almost nothing with their buncher line so there would be room for volvo. But the Deere K is coming and the series II tigercat, so volvo is already behind. I have seen a few and seem somewhat primitive. the gilbert head is okay. fr22B from deere would be the top of the list now, tigercat even trying to purchase it for sale on their units. and the wrist on the fr is the loewen. not some home made thing like on the gilbert. Now get into a new FR24B and THAT is the Premier head on the market period. we got one cutting everything a gilbert 28 can plus it handles wood excellent. Blah blah blah,

grapple1

is there NO re-inforcement behind that windshield!! Stick a butt of log in there and it would not matter if it was 2" thick. Is that legal?

stormdodger

Occupation
feller buncher operator
I here a lot of good things with the tigercat lx 870c, very stable,. havent tried one yet though.
A 24 with the loewen wrist is a sweet set up.
the old tk 1127 keeps on cuttin....16000+ hrs. :crying argh

stormdodger

Occupation
feller buncher operator
Risley should have kept the tk's because the Cat tk's we're running now are crap.
I'm not a lover of the ICAN system. Maybe it has been improved.
The madills 2250s were not bad machines, as long as the jimmy's would stay together .lol
I run both saws.:thumbsup
I'm in the Camp R area.

grapple1

I am a bit biased now with John Deere. We put a couple new 959j out the last few months. All fly by wire, no pilot controls. the new K in engineering stages is gone to a "flexbox" electronic system,
trying to get the prototype K out here in the next month for some testing before they tear it down. Currently it is in kamloops! Lets get it here for some Real testing with real wood.
If it comes I \'ll let u know.