• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vortec v6 engine

Stephan1

Can anyone confirm the torque specs on a Vortec v6 Toyota forklift engine?
The agents aren't very helpful.
Does 60 foot pound sound right?

4x4ford

Occupation
aunts on the strip Currently drive a 1951 chevy pa
If it’s a 4.3 vortech that is a gm engine might help your search don’t have my manual with me for torque specs though

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
From the manual:
Cylinder Head Bolt (Preferred Method) All Bolts First Pass in Sequence 30 N•m 22 lb ft
Long Bolts Final Pass in Sequence 75 degrees
Medium Bolts Final Pass in Sequence 65 degrees
Short Bolts Final Pass in Sequence 55 degrees

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I’ve seen a bunch with KEM power GM engines as well. Lots of 4.3’s and 3.0 4 cylinder GM.

Old Growth

Toyota is usually not known for whoring themselves out to other manufacturers. Just kinda struck me odd. Never seen a relationship with gm/toyota before.
Odd

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
They probably just did not have an engine in house that fit the bill. They needed a 4.something propane engine. They don't make one themselves. So they go buy one elsewhere. The 4.3 GM platform is a very good industrial engine.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
That 4.3 engine is everywhere. It is (don't know if they still make many) the smallest common engine. There is a 3.0 GM 4 banger also but it is harder to get, I don't think they make many.

Stephan1

So I've got the head back on, torqued and everything. But not starting. Set to 12 BTDC as shown by the marks on the crank shaft. Plenty of spark. LPG into the separator but not smelling much coming out. Is the crank shaft pulley on a rubber damper?
Any ideas? Or should I look for another profession?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Do you have good compression? Is that engine only propane? If so make sure it’s not missing one of the little plugs where the injectors would be. Propane engines are old sensitive to vacuum. If it’s low for one reason or another it won’t run right. Regulator and mixer in good shape?

Valve stem seals, valve seats good?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Blast some flammable brake cleaner in the intake while cranking and the fuel turned off. If careful you can get it to run even well on brake cleaner. Turn the propane back on if you are able to get some RPM this way and then you can see if it takes off on propane. One caveat, it is easy to flood the air intake system with puddles of brake cleaner this way and that will make it get over rich/behave strangely. It is a bit of a dance to make it all work this way. Or maybe find a vacuum hose on the manifold and squirt some in with a straw squirter.

terex herder

The 4.3L is 3/4 of the small block Chevy. Most all vehicles with that engine installed will fall apart around a good running engine. Probably the most durable engine GM has ever produced, going on 60+ years of development.