• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

wa 320 wheel loader trany problem

KMSEXC

i have a 320 komatsu payloader that when it gets warm it takes a few extra seconds to shift when going from forward to reverse any boby know this problem, Hoping not going to be major i believe this machine shift electronicly Thanks KMS

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums KMSEXC! :drinkup

Young James

I don't know much about it but I had a brand new 380 with 5.5 hours on it and it did exactly like you said, except in all gears too. If I was going down a road in 3rd gear and the machine needed to downshift to 2nd, the the loader will pretty much come to a complete stop before it would downshift, and sometimes bounce pretty hard. Nothing like the deere's I normally drive. Some people like the new trannys in the komatsu loaders, but I for one can't stand it

wrenchbender

I haven't worked on many komatsus and I'm not sure the 320 will be equipped with cushing valves or not. But if it is this would be a good place to start looking. Of coarse you've most likely allready changed fluid and filters and cleaned the pickup screen.

KMSEXC

I haven't worked on many komatsus and I'm not sure the 320 will be equipped with cushing valves or not. But if it is this would be a good place to start looking. Of coarse you've most likely allready changed fluid and filters and cleaned the pickup screen.

Yes change oil and filters Where are these cushing valves

wrenchbender

As I said I don't work on many komatsus but if they are like many other brands look on the side or front of the trans. There should be a small block with detent style plugs in it. These valves are usually just a spring and ball type deal springs break or get weak, trash gets in and binds the ball or they just plain wear out.

KMSEXC

As I said I don't work on many komatsus but if they are like many other brands look on the side or front of the trans. There should be a small block with detent style plugs in it. These valves are usually just a spring and ball type deal springs break or get weak, trash gets in and binds the ball or they just plain wear out.

Thank You You Have been a great Help , Sorry if I seem demanding I'm not Trying To Be KMS

Wulf

KMS... You should probably start with a pressure test to check the transmission pump and clutch pressures. Check pressures at full RPM and at idle in neutral and all speeds to see if there is any loss of flow or pressure.

With a pressure gauge you can also watch the gauge to see if the solenoids are reacting (electrically) but the pressure is just slow building up the reverse clutch pressure.

Inside each of the transmission solenoids there are some fine mesh screens, blockage of those screens can cause slow clutch application.

Before you do all this though... make sure the declutch isn't hanging up if you are using the LH brake when shifting from F to R also presumably you have the right oil in the transmission.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It's been many years since I worked on those but I'll try to drag up some things out of the gray matter on top of my sholders.

Komatsu built the first series of these loaders in Japan and I believe they used a planetary transmission. Later on Komatsu purchased the Dresser line and rebadged those machines. Those machines used a countershaft transmission that had very little shift modulation. You had decel the engine and come to a complete stop before shifting into the other direction and throttling back up again. Since you called this machine a Komatsu Payloader, I'm assuming you have the Dresser version.

What you are describing was normal on those machines. On those machines when things go wrong, the transmission starts slipping. Since yours is shifting hard it probably isn't slipping. You should at the very least get the operator's and service manuals.

Good Luck!