• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wabco scrapers at work

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
Owner of an independant heavy equiptment repair bu
Barainzie!!!!!!!!!
GREAT LOOKING D-PULL!!!!!!
Always heard you could put a ROPS on them, but back in the day I used run my dads it was half the cost of a new machine. I would like to know several things about what it is used for as in a clean up machine or small production machine. There are several different was to set up the cutting edge so the side bits are not router bits aren't in the ground robbing you of HP which makes it load faster. Did this machine ever have 4 teeth on the edge? Does the elevator have reverse on it?

Brainzie

Hey Maurice.
Thanks, its only had two owners since new and both of those owners really looked after it. We`ve only had it a month and quite pleased with it. the cutting edge is stepped ( stinger ) I`m not sure about the number of teeth. it came with one and we`ve got some E200 teeth that`ll go on with out much adapting. Yeah it has got reverse on the elevator but isnt working at present. It loads very well where theres good traction but in the sand its very ho hum.

Barainzie!!!!!!!!!
GREAT LOOKING D-PULL!!!!!!
Always heard you could put a ROPS on them, but back in the day I used run my dads it was half the cost of a new machine. I would like to know several things about what it is used for as in a clean up machine or small production machine. There are several different was to set up the cutting edge so the side bits are not router bits aren't in the ground robbing you of HP which makes it load faster. Did this machine ever have 4 teeth on the edge? Does the elevator have reverse on it?

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
Brainzie
What you need is a center cutting edge that is 5"-7" longer than what is standard or as far as the teeth are, that way all traction & power is consentrated on the area of what the elevator picks up. Years ago I had a cutting edge manufacture make some for the ones my dad had, (see post 543) Notice the where the controls are on the D. Then set the borrow pit or cut area up so the outside of the left wheel tracks along the side of where the right hand one the previous pass. If you do that all the way across the cut area then the next depth you can pick up the ridges and you will be loading twice as much as you did the first time across; worked great in sand. The most important thing is you have to do is keep the engine reved up, can't let it pull down, the conveyor will stall out. When those cutting edges were worn out dad gather up everyone elses worn out ones and then would weld them to the ones on the machine. When I ran the C (as we called it) I could get it full, dirt rolling over both side and the back under a minute. (I hope to make a video out of it someday after I get enough together to repair the right side bull gear). Parts from our Komatsu dealer are not cheap.

Last edited:

Brainzie

Thanks Maurice.
We found today that the loading gear wasn`t working due to a buggered seal and crap in the air part on the side of the tranmission there. Hopefully that should make a difference for loading.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Brainzie, is that one known as a D pull or is it new enough to be labeled a 111A? Watched one of those grade an entire subdivision by itself in the early 70's, when I was a kid in Missouri. Looks like a real nice unit.

Alan

Brainzie

Hi Alan over here we call them a 111a. It has a D on the serial number plate on the side of the bowl and on the side of the chassis on the front. Yeah they are nice to trim with, leaves quite a bit nicer finish when trimming than our 613. Wont pick up the long grass and kikuyu like the cat though.

Gord229

Occupation
Operator
Gordon
I'm trying to post those pictures of the two scrapers that we have that our dad & his brother orginally bought for their construction company. One of my brothers & I rescued the D from the scrap man (one of two ever existed, modified for operator convience 1 year after purchase, by Joe Muenks, may he rest in peace). The 222A has a hancock bowl along with the D-Pull.
Maurice

G'day Maurice
Have been a bit preoccupied laterly with Snowy Mountains Historic Equipment Association business so haven't been on the forum for quite a while. Great to see the scrapers are being preserved! Would absolutely love to own the C'Pull - it would complement my open bowl. Good luck with restoring the D111A (actually D'Pull/10E2 Hancock combination from the photo).

In the interests of keeping a good thing going, I am attaching some shots I took back in 1969 of Leighton's Wabco/LW scrapers working here in Canberra.

Cheers
Gordon

Attachments

• MS13small.jpg
    MS13small.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,293
  • MS-13-1small.jpg
    MS-13-1small.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,199
  • MS8small.jpg
    MS8small.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,285
  • MS502-1small.jpg
    MS502-1small.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,226
  • MS502-2small.jpg
    MS502-2small.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,253
Last edited:

Jim Irwin

Hi Steve,

No, my brother owns it now. My back wouldnt let me drive scrapers again (fulltime). He tells me he couldnt use it down south on the jobs he's on because the ground has too much water in it and the 252FT just pugs out the ground.

He's using excavators and trucks at the moment, but he won't part with it readily, he loves it!!

I have moments when Id love to get in one, but on days when my back plays up, theres no way I could sadly..............

You must be the only 353FT operator around and probably the only owner/operator of a 353FT Steve???

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
Old Tournapulls The first time I ever saw a motor scraper was in Stevensons Pukekohe Depot. (it was on intersection at lower end of King Street Opposite the Railway over bridge)
The old Fitter Harry Jenkins( Old Cranky he was called behind his back) was fitting teeth to the cutting edge to get it to load better.
What we could not understand was ,what kept the nose up why did it not fall on to the ground Downers had some to the were called WIDOW makers you had to cross steer going down hill
this is really hitting "nostalgia "now that would be over 68 years ago.
They used the Tournapull on Avondale racecourse. they used the Cat 12 Grader to windrow the dirt and T/pull picked it , they said was quicker that way than getting t/pull to try and self load. it was same model as in you r photo I think they were basiclly a Le Tourneua Carryall hooked up to Motor Module

Last edited:

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
Branden, Great show!!!!!!!!!! Boy that brings back memorys of the glory days, (a lot less restictions).
Thanks, Maurice

Jim Irwin

Brendon,

thank god your father had the foresight to record that in colour and with sound! There wouldnt be too many of those around I wouldnt think.

People underestimate the value of the scraper and the part it played in building Australia.

The truckies in Australia have a bumper sticker which says "Truckies carry this country".

There should be another bumper sticker "Scrapers created the roads that carry this country"

Jim

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
Thanks for posting good to see how it was done in days gone by. Cheers RDG

Brenlow

Thanks for the comments guys, glad ya liked it........ I will post more later, I think a 3 minute home movie film cost $20 in those days and the 333s were only earning $40 per hr so it would have eaten into the profit margin a bit, there are heaps of missing bits mainly because the projector used to chew a bit up every time he showed them. The old man brought the 222 in about 68 I think, it was supposed to be the 1st F in the country, I drove it for a few months till I graduated to a 333, I was on the 1 shown in the 1st frames of the video with the pipes spaced apart where we had removed the mufflers....it was american built so it came with mufflers where as the other 2 were later but built in Aust so came with open pipes, I ended up putting the mufflers back on and you can see my machine in the later frames where she caught alight when the trans exploded. I still look back on those days as probably the best operating time of my life, I spent a few months in 1 cut with a few 631s and a cupple of 633s on a 2 or 3 mile haul , slightly uphill for alot of it, you could blow off 2 or 3 Cats on every load if ya wanted........they had a load counter on every cut so everyone was flat out all day.Hey Leroy, once ya had a 333 ya never missed a 222 hehehe
See yas