• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wabco scrapers at work

Gord229

Occupation
Operator
Absolutely dead right Leroy! Just sold my 623E, the best thing I have ever done. Give me a 222 any day in that size class.
Showpony the 333FT is a credit to you and will certainly do you proud I am sure.
Cheers
Gordon

Aussie Leroy

Showpony thankyou for the photos i would love to buy a copy of all the info you have on 111A thankyou mechanical/electricial;In #634 second picture down it says imput to booster rectifier when engine is at high idle with motor load should get (74V AC). We are getting about 8V and cannot understand why this is the outcome. At the bottom of the page it stats that each of the three phases is same aprox 8V and this should be about 74 VOLTS can anyone help. Has anyone got or would take a photo of the transformer under the floor plates to see if the wiring is layded out the same as our machine.
My electical engineer thinks that the boost side of the transformer is not working we would love to hear from anyone with an idea of what is the problem
We feel that this transformer quote has been repaired unquote ??????.

Last edited:

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Showpony that will be the finest 333FT in the world, I am sure, it looks so good.

I have been repairing a road that got washed away in our recent deluges, great little hill of rock right next to the job. Video -

http://youtu.be/VynQV9yNUKQ

Aussie you will get there, keep at it. We found we had to draw out the system diagrams (electrical, air, hydraulic) on the 353FT ourselves so we could understand the manuals.

-Steve

Aussie Leroy

Thanks Steve we will not let it beat us we now understand it, we just have to find what is original and whats been changed. Thanks in Wabco Leroy

Steve How many yds is 353 FT and yds 333FT

Last edited:

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
BT33F is nominal 34 yards, 353FT is 36 yards, probably due to minor variations in bowl construction and elevator frame and mounting system. 950hp for the BT333F, 1025 for the 353FT. I have a 111A service manual, I will see if there are any scans that I can send that might help you.

Steve

Jim Irwin

Steve,

I have a copy of the article written by Wabco's engineer in charge of the R & D of the 353FT if you would like it.

cheers

Showpony

Hi Lee, It looks like your main rectifier plates may be your problem, remove the lid from the rectifier, that is the box on the right hand side with all the wires going into it. Inside are 2 sets of selenium coated plates , check them for pitting or damage to the coating. Damaged plates will cause low excitation voltage, flat batterys, and lack of booster circuit voltage. Another source of your problem could be the DC rectifier, it is a reostat mounted om the right hand side of the fire wall, this ensures stable voltage is getting to the rectifier and batterys. Get a sparky to check it out, there should be some sort of device availabe to replace it. The oil in the main rectifier is transformer oil, do not add anything else, if you can find someone that does maintenance work on mains transformers they should be able to put you on to someone that can recoat your plates. Ill get our manuals photos copied and bound. Do you want to pick up or will I send them? PM me your mailing address, if you cant pick up. good luck Nick

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Hi Jim,

That is the Cedric Hurst article? I have a copy, thanks, which I had to buy from some engineer society. It is a lousy copy, so I am redoing it using Cedric's original colour picture souces.

Aussie Leroy

Wabco 111A Electrical Problems

Thanks Steve,

Great suggestions about the checking the rectifiers, but the rectifiers on the machine have been replaced with modern silicon diode rectifier packs years ago and they all seem to be OK.

We don't quite know what you mean by the "reostat on the firewall" ?

Maybe you mean the relay on the firewall ? We have checked the relay on the right side of the firewall, it's OK too.
The relay is there to stop the battery discharging through the rectifiers & alternator rotor when the engine is turned off.
This relay is controlled by the DC Isolator switch on the dash.

A rheostat is a variable resistor, like the volume control on a stereo, radio etc. Have you seen something like this on other machines ?

We think our problem is with the transformer.

Previously someone has had the transformer "repaired" but we suspect that it was never done right.

What we are looking for is info on the transformer. Does anyone have any text that might explain the current paths through the transformers boost section ?

Possibly could anyone be able to take some close up photos of an original transformer so we can get an idea of what it's supposed to look like ?

Thanks
Leroy

Showpony

Hi Lee
We have a transformer just up the road, we will try and get some pics. regarding the DC rectifier look in the battery charging circuit diagram and it is shown as the DC field breaker. sorry about the confusion.

Aussie Leroy

Wabco 111A Electrical Problem

Thanks Showpony,

A few pics from up the road sounds great.

What we're trying to see is how the 3 phase current flows through the boost section of the transformer and
maybe some idea of what thickness wire is used in its coils.

Thanks heaps!

Leroy

Aussie Leroy

Has anyone got 111A wabco in victoria close to Gippsland, Victoria, Australia,area or know someone we would be able to go and see a working model of to do test on or take photo's of. Showpony,Weakness we have hit the wall on info, Can oneone HELP!!

Showpony

Hi Lee
We have a working 111a turning up to our yard in a day or 2, I will get pics of the transformer. There is a possibility the owner of the 111a may have a spare transformer, I will keep you posted.

Jim Irwin

Leroy,

I bought a 101 F off a contractor in the Yarra Valley about 13 years ago. I cannot remember his name. He had 111A and Michigan twin power.

He loved the 111A, it was called "catch me if you can".

He was about 55 then. Sorry I have no other info.

Jim Irwin

No Leroy,

it was definately out past Lilydale in the Yarra Valley.

Yarck is too far north of where I remember.

Nice bloke he was too!