• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Weird charging system fail

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I ran my hoe for a few hours yesterday and when I went to restart it the battery was weak. I checked and the alternator wasn't charging. The problem wasn't hard to find or fix because the wire had just broken off the B+ terminal.

The weird thing is the indicator light was still operating normally. It came on with the key on and went out when I increased the engine speed.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
The weird thing is the indicator light was still operating normally. It came on with the key on and went out when I increased the engine speed.
Hmm...I am now thinking it isnt so accurate.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Yeah the tach was still working also. Just wasn't connected to the battery any more.

Delmer

Maybe, maybe not, an ammeter only shows if the battery is charging or discharging. If it's not terribly precise, and most weren't, it didn't show if it was a slow charge because the battery was full, or a slow discharge because the battery was almost dead. A voltmeter is cheap these days, and is better than an ammeter or a charging indicator light. I suspect accurate voltmeters were much more expensive than ammeters back in the day, that's the only reason they were used.

edgephoto

I am forgetting about the low quality that used to be used. Old cars were the same. I am used to using precise equipment.