• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Well this doesn't look good...

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Vintage Restos & occasional Tractors
I don't think this is what you want the ram to look like when you pull it apart... Any suggestions as to what caused this? Definitely change the filters but what is it going to do to the pump?IMG_20210118_131102.jpg IMG_20210118_131112.jpg

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Not a thing fell out. There is some sort of plug I noticed, let me see if I can get a good pic.

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
IMG_20210118_134932.jpg Can't get inside the tube but there something that looks like a plug ? It looks like it is what went through inside. Do they have pressure relief check ball on them sometimes?

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I wonder if someone thought it was a good idea to install a drain plug.

I hate it for you but I feel much better about all the BS I went through on my last cylinder build. ;)

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
19725224-1348-42BE-9B62-3DFE08914FEF.jpeg I have some questions
1)is #1hollow ?
2)is #1 viewable inside barrel?
3)does #2 look like a factory weld or a repair ?
4)are other cylinders on machine similar to #1

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
View attachment 232361 I have some questions
1)is #1hollow ?
2)is #1 viewable inside barrel?
3)does #2 look like a factory weld or a repair ?
4)are other cylinders on machine similar to #1
1) not hollow
2) yes it was
3) factory
4) I’ll have to look. This was the last one I did- the others didn’t give a problem so I’ll have to look.

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
I wonder if someone thought it was a good idea to install a drain plug.

I hate it for you but I feel much better about all the BS I went through on my last cylinder build. ;)
I’m really starting to think that may have been it. It looks like a plug someone drove in and welded. Apparently didn’t realize it would interfere? At any rate there is a hole now because I drilled it out.

Tinkerer

Am I to hope the filter caught the pieces?
Take it off and cut it open.
Might be a good thing to change that filter a few times after you get it running again.
I would cut every one of them open to see how much crap it is catching.
I would remove all the piping and hoses from that cylinder to the filter and flush them out.
There could be some big pieces lodged in them.

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Take it off and cut it open.
Might be a good thing to change that filter a few times after you get it running again.
I would cut every one of them open to see how much crap it is catching.
I would remove all the piping and hoses from that cylinder to the filter and flush them out.
There could be some big pieces lodged in them.
Will definitely do that. Thanks all.

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Tried to locate a new piston - Case shows it but told me it was obsolete and of course discontinued. Couldn't find any left over stock either. Guess a good used one is my only option?

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Search Ebay or some of the seal suppliers for the part number. I bought a new Piston for my crowd cylinder a while back and the more I searched the lower prices I found. Bought it from Fast Lift Parts for $108 shipped. Actually found one cheaper after I ordered but I don't remember the source.

It's hard to believe your cylinder bore is not damaged beyond useful.

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Search Ebay or some of the seal suppliers for the part number. I bought a new Piston for my crowd cylinder a while back and the more I searched the lower prices I found. Bought it from Fast Lift Parts for $108 shipped. Actually found one cheaper after I ordered but I don't remember the source.

It's hard to believe your cylinder bore is not damaged beyond useful.
Ended up taking it to local machine shop and he made the piston. Put another plug in it and welded it again- amazingly the bore was ok.