• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Weyerhaeuser Company Logging Operations

Rusty Grapple

Well I hiked this today and didn’t see a thing other than some elk and a couple 6+ foot diameter logs
Moto Matt, you had to have walked right near it on your hike, you were definitely in the right place. It is there, I'm bummed to see that you didnt find it. It is very near the shoreline of the lake, at the upper end. It looks like you were very very close for sure.

MotoMatt

Thanks for sharing, seeing the pictures takes away some of the disappointment. I think the location of the yarder must be the far southeast corner of the lake. I followed the creek down which should've put me right on top of it according to previous accounts. I think the creek's output has shifted a couple hundred feet to the west over the years.

Other's caution is well founded, in addition, I'd recommend bringing a decent snack with some carbohydrates to consume at the bottom. I hit the wall (ran out of carbs) on the way up and wasn't able to sustain the exertion required to scramble up some of the very steep slopes (had to stop often bracing against trees to prevent sliding backwards). I'm 40 years old and not in excellent shape but I did hike 12 miles with 2700 feet of elevation gain the weekend before.
The steepness and having to climb it at the end is the biggest danger in my opinion.
Also, I believe it's technically against the rules to travel off trail anywhere in the Mt. St. Helens National Monument/Forest

Spook

I'm just coming out of the woods after hiking in September 1 and staying the night. I spent 15 minutes the night of the 1st and then another hour and a half this morning looking around for the yarder and coming up empty.

We searched the alder woods pretty thoroughly and all we found was some bent up corrugated iron.

The point on the image is the beach we camped on. It's a tough hike in and out, that's for sure!

I see it was found in 2020 l, so it's got to be there three years later!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230902-153754_onX Hunt.jpg
    Screenshot_20230902-153754_onX Hunt.jpg
    997.6 KB · Views: 10

Spook

I'm just coming out of the woods after hiking in September 1 and staying the night. I spent 15 minutes the night of the 1st and then another hour and a half this morning looking around for the yarder and coming up empty.

We searched the alder woods pretty thoroughly and all we found was some bent up corrugated iron.

The point on the image is the beach we camped on. It's a tough hike in and out, that's for sure!

I see it was found in 2020 l, so it's got to be there three years later!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230902-171948_onX Hunt.jpg
    Screenshot_20230902-171948_onX Hunt.jpg
    942.6 KB · Views: 9