• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What a pain, Cat 315C L track derailed

materthegreater

PXL_20230503_165524214.jpg

I have had to put tracks back on my mini many times but this was a different story. It seems that the tensioner on this is designed to still apply spring pressure even when the grease cylinder pressure is released. On my Bobcat, the grease cylinder and spring are in "series" instead of "parallel" like this seems to be. I could not get the idler to stay retracted because of it, which obviously made getting the track back on much more difficult. I finally was able to with a combination of chains pulling on the track in just the right places.

Any tricks to getting a track back on with this type of system, or is it just the nature of the beast?

Cmark

There's nothing unusual about the idler arrangement. If it feels like you are pushing against a spring, your track adjuster piston may be seized or the through-bolt in the recoil spring might be broken.

materthegreater

That could be. I don't think it's seized though because it tensioned right up when I applied grease to it.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
I'm going with the broken trough bolt as well.

Columbo

Having just re-tracked one side of my 311 after an idler repair I feel your pain! Did you have another machine to help get it on?

materthegreater

I'm renting it, so I'll let the owner know he needs to replace the bolt or recoil assembly :cool:

Columbo, I did not have another machine. I typically use the bucket to lift the track off the ground and then use chains to the thumb to apply tension to the track in the right places to get it back onto the idler. The thumb allows pulling movement without moving the bucket or arm. Of course it had to happen on a rainy day...

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Tracks always come off on a rainy day, in 6 inches of mud, 100 yards down a hill from the nearest point you can get the truck. It is some kind of immutable law, I think . . . ;)