• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What fluids to use in my 955L????

Cliffj59

I just bought a 1978 955L 13X1963 from an estate where the owner had deceased. I dont know what he had been using for fluids so my questions are:
Can I mix diffrent types of transmission and hydraulic fluid?
What weight motor oil should I use and kind?
I have a 30 gallon drum of Chevron NLGI-2 grease will this work ok?
Or do I need to drain everything and put in fresh fluids and new filters?

I havent gotten this loader home yet but the fluids and grease will be the first thing I do this weekend before the action starts:cool2

Komatsu 150

Since you don't know what's in there and how long, I wouldn't hesitate, change everything and start out fresh. An operators manual is pretty good at showing service points as the trans, bevel gear, clutch compartments can be a little confusing. There should be a chart inside the left side cover.

OldandWorn

I have an owners and service manual but haven't deciphered the information yet.

Engine oil is CD 30 weight. I would imagine any good diesel engine oil would be ok. I have a pail of Rotella 10-30w that I will probably use. CD is a Caterpillar spec.

Transmission and bevel gear/steering clutches are CD/TO2 30 weight. CD/TO2 is another Cat spec. Since CD and TO2 are listed together it may mean that you can use either motor oil or universal tractor fluid (different than straight hydraulic oil). I just don't know for sure yet.

Hydraulics are HYDO 10 weight, yet another Cat spec. I'm thinking standard 10w hydraulic oil.

Hopefully, someone else will chime in with more clear information. I'm planning on changing out all of my fluids....just because.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Manual says the following, but remember it was written in the 70's so there have been many advances in lubrication since then: -

Engine - API CD 10W below freezing, SAE 30 above freezing. I would recommend use latest API CI-4 or CJ-4 oil SAE 10W/30.
Transmission - TO-2 SAE 30. Use commercial TO-4 SAE 30.
Track rollers & Idlers - API CD SAE 30. Use same oil as transmission.
Hydraulic system - HYDO SAE 10W. Use a good commercial SAE 10W hydraulic oil.
Final Drives - LO SAE 50 above freezing, SAE 30 below. I would recommend using an SAE 50 TO-4 oil here.

Hope that helps.