• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

what is a Miller DeltaWeld 302 Mig/Stick Welder worth?

TozziWelding

Occupation
Welder/Equipment Repair
It is a 3 phase unit, so make sure you have the power in your shop to run it. What does it have for accessories with it, wire feeder, cables, etc......

Dualie

well base price is $0.35 a LB around here. anything from there on up is up to condition, location and accessories. The Deltawelds are pretty damn decent industrial mig machines. parts are reasonable.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
As far as the three phase goes, they are much better welders then the single phase. However you need real three phase power coming into your shop. An electric motor can be "fooled" with a phase converter, but a welder cannot.

Dualie

Also the deltaweld is a CV only machine so no stick performance to speak of.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Another good point to mention here.

My Miller Dealer, whom I have known since we were both in college, told me when buying a new machine a couple of years ago that it is best to buy the specific machine you want. As in if you want a MIG, buy a MIB, if you want a stick machine, buy a stick machine, etc.

According to him the so called "all purpose" machines are compromised in their ability to do everything to the best, while the specific application machines are designed for one application.

That is why I have a DC inverter type stick machine, a separate for MIG, and a diesel powered three phase machine.

The diesel gets used for portable work as well as things in the shop when I want a three phase machine since I don't have three phase in the shop.

Dualie

The only exception i will say for that would be the engine drives or the XMT line up. I LOVE my XMT 350's. You can go from burning 0.072" self shielded flux core, to 5/32 low hy, to scratch start tig, and finish it up with a round of 0.052" dual shield fcaw wire.

all in a days time and it does all that well. VERY well if i do say.

the same could be said about my Lincoln Vantage portable welders also.

orville

Occupation
Millwright / weldor
Another good point to mention here.

My Miller Dealer, whom I have known since we were both in college, told me when buying a new machine a couple of years ago that it is best to buy the specific machine you want. As in if you want a MIG, buy a MIB, if you want a stick machine, buy a stick machine, etc.

According to him the so called "all purpose" machines are compromised in their ability to do everything to the best, while the specific application machines are designed for one application.

That is why I have a DC inverter type stick machine, a separate for MIG, and a diesel powered three phase machine.

The diesel gets used for portable work as well as things in the shop when I want a three phase machine since I don't have three phase in the shop.

Greg what is a 3 phase portable machine? Does it have three phase on the auxiliary power? What machine do you have? Is it OK to have a Tig machine and a stick machine combined into one?

StanRAUUS

Have good results with Lincoln AirVantage, 1&3Ph 20Kva auxiliary generator runs 2 XTM 350s simultaneously…15Hp power pack used to operate AutoCrane, 60cmf @140psi rotary screw air compressor. Would be great if Lincoln provided ‘radio remote control’ like Miller; Bernard Q-Tip guns with flexible/bendable wands are handy, allows adjusting per each job requirement…

Dualie

For 25K the air vantage is a hard pill to swallow. when you can get a regular vantage for 15K and a hell of a compressor for less than 10

Dualie

not to mention service on them looks like a nightmare. I have run two XMT's burning 0.072" wire and a little single phase inverter for burning 6022 puddle welding deck all day long on my air cooled vantage 500, never needed to do more than that off of a single machine.

that air vantage is on bad azz monster though. A carbon arc'ing beast if there ever was one.

StanRAUUS

VMAC compressor filter is expensive; labor wise service isn’t a biggie. Lincoln welders control panel-service doors are ass backwards necessitating left-side vehicle mounting; most cookie cutter mechanic-weldor service bodies [IMT, AutoCrane, Stellar etc] are designed for mounting welding gas bottles @ right-side forwards. With the right side outrigger extended creating a walk-around road block also; simple solution is hard wiring welder controls @ rear of service body…engine start/stop/ac on-off/arc voltage control. Tweco twist-connectors melt:mad: whilst air gouging @ 500amp/3/8” rod; best to use 4/0 cables directly connected @ welder’s output studs.
Miller’s AirPak w/Deutz oil cooled engine shuts down:eek: due to high temps when ambient air temp is 100+ welding @ 450amps/3-32” 3MS Innershield wire, Cat D8,9,10 re-grouser jobs. AirPak will also handle a 15Hp electric power pack to operate AutoCranes, Line Borers and providing compressed air for pneumatic equipment// IDEA being not using the service vehicle’s 300Hp diesel engine to operate PTO driven hydraulic pumps or rotary screw air compressor will save fuel and eliminate lower coolant temp operation of the service vehicle’s diesel engine. So http://www.enpak.com/products/ another high priced toy! Enpak would be of interest; reducing static vehicle weight if the unit can power a 15Hp 3Ph power pack or provide load sensing hydraulic power.
Spec-ing new service truck; non-CDL 25,999 GVW, aluminum service body w/steel sub-frame-isolated crane pedestal, aluminum tire truck floor, semi-closed wheel wells w/air dams, no forward facing flat panels, e.g. reducing weight and frictional drag…if higher amperage welder is required use hoist!
Be safe Dualie

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Greg what is a 3 phase portable machine? Does it have three phase on the auxiliary power? What machine do you have? Is it OK to have a Tig machine and a stick machine combined into one?

My three phase machine is a Hobart powered by a Perkins three cylinder diesel. It is a stick machine only.

Lots of times I will use that at the shop too because it is three phase.

jayrak

3 phase welder on phase conerter

As far as the three phase goes, they are much better welders then the single phase. However you need real three phase power coming into your shop. An electric motor can be "fooled" with a phase converter, but a welder cannot.

I have used a three phase welder on a rotary phase converter now for over 25 years, I weld mostly 1/8" and 3/16" material.

td25c

It aint that complicated if you understand the basic job to start with .

The electric welder machine makes the heat and operator puts the bead where it needs to be . Don't know how else to word it on the " world wide waste of time " .

LOL !

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
I have used a three phase welder on a rotary phase converter now for over 25 years, I weld mostly 1/8" and 3/16" material.

Same here.

40 h.p. rotary runs my Linde SVI 400 just fine...I run spray with .035 wire, great for the
thicker materials.