• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is or Was The Most Day in Day Out Reliable Engine Ever Made?

daugherty102

Occupation
Equipment operator
3176 Cat for big rigs

the best engine John Deere ever made was the inline 6 cylinder diesel like what's in the 4010's and 4020's

Deerehauler

As far as Deere engines I think the 466 was the best Waterloo six cylinder. I didn't like the 404 that was in 4000 series through the 4630. I've seen lots of 466s on irrigation wells that have 20,000+hours on them.

I like the 292, 350, and 454 Chevy. The slant 6, 318, and 440 Dodge were good engines. For Fords I like the 300 six and the 302 V-8.

Dualie

They must have been better in the equipment cuz they sucked the big one in trucks.

Dad had good luck with his and it was programed with the "emergency service" rating plus some other tweaks.

Other than that they were problematic.

But as far as gassers go i would say that the ford 300CI 6 cyl inline was a hoss in both The FI and carberated versions.

diesels i have to give the nod to the old mechanical DT-466's from binder.

Timark80

5.9 CUMMINS
I've seen them used in light duty trucks,heavy duty trucks and boats.

BlackbeardMX

Please tell us you are joking.

I vote for the old 300 Mack. I ran the overhead on one a few years back that had s much wear on the cam that a few of the jam nuts didn't have enough threads to thread onto the adjusters. I put the nuts under the rocker arms and told the owner to get ready for an overhaul. He kept running the truck for about 6 months (hauling logs), and then sold it to another guy who ran it for another year. It may still be running that way.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Around here swear by Chrysler 4.0 liter straight 6 if you talk about small vehicles.

Big stuff, Cat except for 3208, Mack in the big trucks here E7 400's and 350 are great engines.

7.3 Litre Powerstroke is also a great engine.

Chris91786

Occupation
CAT HE Technician - Ring Power Corp.
Please tell us you are joking.

I vote for the old 300 Mack. I ran the overhead on one a few years back that had s much wear on the cam that a few of the jam nuts didn't have enough threads to thread onto the adjusters. I put the nuts under the rocker arms and told the owner to get ready for an overhaul. He kept running the truck for about 6 months (hauling logs), and then sold it to another guy who ran it for another year. It may still be running that way.

I was lol, I wan't to see if anybody actually believed me.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I spent a bit over three years purely doing diesel engine failure analysis. I had to think about this because we were only called to failures so it was the engines we looked at least. The 8V92 series detroit and the 8RG version of the Cat 3408 (800hp version we called the "Hand grenade") were the most common failures we looked at. Mostly the cause of failure was pushing the engine beyond its service intervals for injector changes and in-frames. The other common cause of failure was defects in the cooling system..often as a result of neglect.

The least looked at engine was the Cat 3406 and the Scania DS11. I saw a lot of operators with the Scania engine that couldn't even remember the last re-build or how many hours they had done...just "a helluva lot" was the usual reply.

There were very few empherical manufacturer's defects. MAN had a bad run with pistons for awhile in the D28XX series. We saw a few Cummins KTA19's but these were big hour engines and there was a lot out there that performed flawlessly for years and years. Some of the most reliable engines I saw were (takes big breath:rolleyes:) Duetz air cooled machines and the Perkins engine mentioned earlier in the thread.

None of them were any good when not maintained properly.

My personal favourite was a Southern Cross 2 cyl hand crank diesel for 20Hp....you just can't beat an engine that fires slower than you can count aloud;)

I'd say the engine that has the most proven track record for reliability around the world would be either Lister or Gardiner.

On truck engines for miles travelled you'd have to think 60 Series or 3406..probably along with the 16 litre Volvo.

Thats my two bob's worth..:D

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I can add one to the "junk" category, I had a 21hp Kawasaki V-twin grenade on me today, just over 1200 hours. I haven't pulled it apart yet but I'm expecting to find a busted piston, I'm not too happy.

Abscraperguy

the best engine John Deere ever made was the inline 6 cylinder diesel like what's in the 4010's and 4020's

That and the two bangers. Not only were the two bangers extremely reliable they were cheap, simple, and quick to fix should problems arise.

3.9 and maybe 5.9L Cummins The 4 cyl version of the 5.9L was a great little engine. Had one of those in my skid steer and abused it for years and no problems.

Cat 3406B Some of my trucker friends swear by these engines. Just a little different than the new Cat truck engines where its more a case of swearing at.

Lister. I've seen Lister diesels with unreal hours still putting in a good days work every day.

special tool

I can add one to the "junk" category, I had a 21hp Kawasaki V-twin grenade on me today, just over 1200 hours. I haven't pulled it apart yet but I'm expecting to find a busted piston, I'm not too happy.

Hmmmm..
Kawasaki country heard from?
I am worried that you won't find too many collaborators, boss....

Have you elliminated ALL possible facets of user error??

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Actually I'm finding I'm in good company. I'm hearing these things have a habit of letting go around 1200 hours, mine has 1303. It's on a Scag mower, is set by a governor so it can't over rev, there really isn't any way it could be operator error. I wasn't running it, but my helper reported it went "BANG!" and just shut down. I was able to restart it, but it was clanking and running on one cylinder, then the stream of motor oil started running out the muffler.

Pulled a plug today and the end was destroyed and full of aluminum particles, that pretty much told the story. I'm pretty upset it let go at such low hours and with faithful servicing.

special tool

Wow - curious to see pics of valve faces, top of pistons and rod bearings.
Aluminum particles sounds almost like ignition timing migration.
Please let us know.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Actually I'm finding I'm in good company. I'm hearing these things have a habit of letting go around 1200 hours, mine has 1303. It's on a Scag mower, is set by a governor so it can't over rev, there really isn't any way it could be operator error. I wasn't running it, but my helper reported it went "BANG!" and just shut down. I was able to restart it, but it was clanking and running on one cylinder, then the stream of motor oil started running out the muffler.

Pulled a plug today and the end was destroyed and full of aluminum particles, that pretty much told the story. I'm pretty upset it let go at such low hours and with faithful servicing.
Steve, how old is it? One series that JD used in their 425 mowers had a "plastic" cam gear or some such that would let go. I was told that they usually made about 800 hrs. Maybe you got a good one to make 1300.;;)