• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is the Blade Float detent used for

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Very nice Ron !

It's a shame the contractor didn't have a International TD 18 on site for the job interview . You really could have showed them up on that rig .;)

Thank you TD25,you don't see too many CCUs on site any more,being used for blade control anyway.It seemed like mind control carrying a grade with those things.Ron G

johan7

Hi all , I like to emphasize that a float position is not a privilege for hydraulic dozers . Cable dozers were equipped with a float position as well .
Have a nice day , johan7

Oxbow

Hi all , I like to emphasize that a float position is not a privilege for hydraulic dozers . Cable dozers were equipped with a float position as well .
Have a nice day , johan7

Indeed johan7, and one would often see the cables get a bit of slack when pushing a scraper or dozing without employing the float position on the control lever.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . .

and one would often see the cables get a bit of slack when pushing a scraper or dozing without employing the float position on the control lever.

Well said Oxbow. . . and to hark back to my hobby horse of production dozing . . . if the blade won't bury with the blade in the "float" detent the material is not in a fit state to push.

Just because with a hydraulic blade an operator can "get a good boil going" and move the material doesn't mean he is doing it in the most productive manner . . . judging by the amount of bare azzed tractors I see playing in the dirt it seems this basic truth is long forgotten

I believe the only material that does not require ripping is sand, loamy topsoil and some types of gumbo clay . . . I always tell operators to imagine they are on a tractor with a cable blade with no down pressure.

The machinery may have changed but the dirt remains the same. In most cases a tractor without rippers is only half a tool . . . I mean to say you can knock a nail in with a hammer head with out a handle but it is going to take a while.

Cheers.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Yair . . . .

Well said Oxbow. . . and to hark back to my hobby horse of production dozing . . . if the blade won't bury with the blade in the "float" detent the material is not in a fit state to push.

Just because with a hydraulic blade an operator can "get a good boil going" and move the material doesn't mean he is doing it in the most productive manner . . . judging by the amount of bare azzed tractors I see playing in the dirt it seems this basic truth is long forgotten

I believe the only material that does not require ripping is sand, loamy topsoil and some types of gumbo clay . . . I always tell operators to imagine they are on a tractor with a cable blade with no down pressure.

The machinery may have changed but the dirt remains the same. In most cases a tractor without rippers is only half a tool . . . I mean to say you can knock a nail in with a hammer head with out a handle but it is going to take a while.

Cheers.

Someday I will have to try a machine that does not have cable. I'm afraid I might get spoiled. My closest production machine to hydraulic in a hobby sort of way is a 9U with cable blade that has a hydraulic power tilt added to it.

ih100

?..Well said Oxbow. . . and to hark back to my hobby horse of production dozing . . . if the blade won't bury with the blade in the "float" detent the material is not in a fit state to push.

Cheers.

Blimey, Scrub, you must be spoilt in Oz. Most of the stuff I've pushed over here, you could rip it until the cows come home and you still have to put the weight down to get the blade into it, including our clay. Personally I like to stab the blade in hard and get her loaded in about a machine length, then drift along. Obviously depending on material and job requirements...