• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is this?

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
Earthmoving business owner
its gonna be in a local fellows auction sale the first of Nov. old farmer retiring and just cleaning his whole farmyard out. Said I could buy it from him tomorrow if I wanted for $1000 if i wanted it bad enough. I was thinking about buying it, painting it and putting infront of the office/shop on a rock pad or something. maybe put christmas lights on it for the holiday season! what do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 2,130
  • IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 2,135
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 2,103

egoman

Occupation
pipeline and heavy industrial pipefitter
I drive by sperling every day to go to work on pipeline in morden. If you get it I will at least cheer you on. Come on whats a thousand dollars anyway.:)

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Get it, they arent going to be making any more any time soon... besides its a cool piece of history directly related to your business.

F-1.08-F.G.

LOOKS like a second generation Caterpillar '60'. The '60' was produced after the Best and Holt merger from 1921 until 1931, the first of which was produced with gasoline powered engine. It appears as though yours lost its gasoline engine when it was replaced with a diesel that would hopfully put out anything better than the torque lacking 50 bhp the original motor claimed. All of this is mostly useless information if you are going to use it as a lawn ornament. Nonetheless... looks like a good bit of sandblasting and painting could bring it back to life asthetically. BTW... Most of this era Cat crawlers were 'CAT Grey' instead of the expected 'CAT Yellow'. Happy fixin:drinkup

Deas Plant

Just a stab in the dark

Hi, CatSkinner77V.
Just as a stab in the dark I'd have to say Cat D8 8R series, about 1939 - 1945. It doesn't look to be in bad nick either. Those are not the original front idlers so it's had some work done there at some time. The originals were spoked.

As has already been said, they aren't going to make any more of them in the near future.

Hi,F-1.08-F.G.
The BEST Sixty was produced from 1919 to 1925, when Best and Holt merged to form Caterpillar. The Best Sixty then became the Caterpillar Sixty and was produced by Caterpillar from 1925 until 1932. The first Diesel Sixty's were built in 1931 and on into 1932 when the entire Sixty model was dropped from the range. Only 157 diesel Sixty's were made. That jigger is NOT a Sixty.

I'm backing my stab in the dark. LOL.

Last edited:

bruce oz

rd8

hello CatSkinner77V, my guess is a rd8 ih model ,the motor has been changed ,looks like it is a industrial engine .bruce oz

Attachments

• rd8-1.jpg
    rd8-1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 2,028

alco

If you can get it before the sale, I say buy it. You never know what someone is going to decide it's worth and bid on it at the last minute. $1000 is a pretty good price.

Brian

Sparffo

Occupation
Demolition contractor
looks like it is a industrial engine .bruce oz

I would say the engine is a D8 13a engine! scrappers give over 1000$ for that, so be fast before some brutal bearded guy with a torch ends this piece of history!
a serial number would help a lot :rolleyes:

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
heres a few more shots, dunno if you can read the serial number tag.... not likely.

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,769
  • IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,814
  • IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,815

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
all i could find was the engine serial number, i have no idea where the number would be on the carcass.... these machines are about 40 years before my time! this old work horse ran like a top I am told, untill the big flood of 1997 it sat underwater for about a week. The old boy tells me he drained the water out of it that summer, but never tried to start it again.... old fool. My question to him is, why would you let it sit where it would be underwater... if it ran so great?!? haha. Perhaps this is a restoration project! i have sunk so much money in K's and H's in the past few years. I just can't see myself buying anything more than a few gallons of paint and christmas lights for now!

Last edited:

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
iwantitiwantitiwantitiwantitiwantit

landrvrnut22

Occupation
Field Superintendent
If you dont buy that thing, I will be there with a lowboy, and truck to take it with me, even if it is a 24 hour drive.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
LOOKS like a second generation Caterpillar '60'. The '60' was produced after the Best and Holt merger from 1921 until 1931, the first of which was produced with gasoline powered engine. It appears as though yours lost its gasoline engine when it was replaced with a diesel that would hopfully put out anything better than the torque lacking 50 bhp the original motor claimed. All of this is mostly useless information if you are going to use it as a lawn ornament. Nonetheless... looks like a good bit of sandblasting and painting could bring it back to life asthetically. BTW... Most of this era Cat crawlers were 'CAT Grey' instead of the expected 'CAT Yellow'. Happy fixin:drinkup

This is a CAT 60

Attachments

• cat 60 alaska (Small).JPG
    cat 60 alaska (Small).JPG
    64 KB · Views: 1,806
  • cat 60 alaska (1) (Small).JPG
    cat 60 alaska (1) (Small).JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,780

bruce oz

d8

hello CatSkinner77V ,the number 4s2176sp is a d13000 industrial engine ,built maybe 1949,
the tractor serial number will be on the back left hand side about the draw bar ,

the old d8 could be a 1h-8r -2u serial number
1h built from 1935-41
8r built from 1941-45
2u built from 1945- 53

bruce oz

surfer-joe

I agree with Bruce Oz, think it to be a 2U D8. Note the electric-start on the pony motor. My brother and I had four of these beasts at one time. Two had babbit bearings and one of those had a leather belt bearing for a couple of days. Saw one pulling a disc recently in the Grand Valley north of Sacramento.

Deas Plant

Serial # tag-stamp

Hi, CatSkinner77V.
That machine serial # should be a tag up towards the top left side on the back of the steering clutch case, up above the drawbar support bracket. If the tag is missing, there should be a serial # stamped into the metal in the same position.

Northart

Dozer Identity ?

Well it is definetly not a Cat D8-2U . The hardnose or front on the Cat D8-2U and the Cat D8-R are different.

Looks like to me the engine has been replaced with a later Genset model engine. The paint seems, to give clues to that idea.

The 1st picture is of a Cat D8-R
The second picture is of a Cat D8-2U

The Cat Power Units chart don't list a Cat 4S2178SP , but looking at the chart it would be prior to 1947.

Attachments

• Cat D8R Wasilla a.jpg
    Cat D8R Wasilla a.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,694
  • Cat D82Ua.jpg
    Cat D82Ua.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,724
  • Power Units d.jpg
    Power Units d.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,632
  • RD8_ D8.jpg
    RD8_ D8.jpg