• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

what kind of mechanism is this?

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
Not a hydraulic cylinder per se other than the wheel lean. However it was oil assisted. I think I can find the manual and if so I'll try to show the system here provided I can scan it and upload it.

J Hall

Occupation
sand&gravel
That is a nice looking old 16, even if the front tires are mounted backwards :)
They were Hydraulic over mechanical, similar to the 12F
No, you could not feather them, but they wouldn't kick back like a full mechanical motor grader
BTW, a straight frame 16 could out do a 16G in heavy work

GPSGrader

Occupation
Grade Foreman/Operator - 95% Motor Grader
I was curious if anyone knew the engine size on that 16F pictured initially?

snapfruzen

Occupation
Grader since 1976,working at a coal mine with scra
Have any of you blokes known the joy of plowing snow with one of those Barny Rubble knuckle buster 12's. There wasn't any auxiliary hydraulic power to run a wing so what to do? A double ended winch was mounted on the right side just in front of the cab. I think it was the drawbar side shift drive shaft that was disconnected and used to drive the winch. A shift lever stuck though the front of the cab so you could select left or right drum on the winch. Two cables from the drums went out to lift the front and rear of the wing. Upon coming up to a fence post or any other obstacle you would use the winch to slowly lift up one end of the wing, shift the winch over to the other drum and slowly lift the other end of the wing, then move ahead and reverse the process. What joy. How can you tell I'm not one of those who have CAT tattooed on his butt.

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
The old cat blades used beveled gears to operate the blade, circle etc. and there was single shaft off engine it had a couplelin with a shear pin to protect the gears and operator,but someone would put 5/16th" bolt when the pin would and the operator would get kicked like mule

dirt 101

The first cat grader I ever plowed snow with was set up the same way. You realy had to be on your toes around mail boxes.Heck of an education for a sixteen year old kid.But after that its all downhill.

smoothoperator

Occupation
County and township maintenance and snow removal,
I seem to remember looking at a Caterpillar Performance Handbook from the late '80's or early '90's, and they showed two or three Brazilian-sourced machines that were still rigid frame machines. I can't remember what models they were, but think they were probably 120/140 sized machines. Didn't pay much attention to the specs, so I don't know if they were all mechanical, or 12F style w/hydraulic motors driving the gear boxes. Basic machines to meet basic needs. Not Barney Rubble, but not George Jetson either.

smoothoperator...keeping moldboards shiny for 29 years

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
Tidy 16

The old cat blades used beveled gears to operate the blade, circle etc. and there was single shaft off engine it had a couplelin with a shear pin to protect the gears and operator,but someone would put 5/16th" bolt when the pin would and the operator would get kicked like mule

When I owned my first grader (12E 17K) I was told only ever use a "rollpin" as a replacement in the dog clutches, never a bolt (they don't shear as easy) or you'll be sorry :eek:

Back to the pic of the rigid 16, 14E's were a similar set up with 17.5 x 25 tyres & about 200hp. Full noise to make things work too ;)