• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What model is this mack?

mitch504

Steve, did you know this particular truck? The blog you posted said it's in NY state.

I have some experience with the M45s in the steel mill here.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
No I don't. The photo posted sparked my interest so I started googling Mack prime mover and that site came up. Coincidentally it isn't (or wasn't) too far from me. Might be worth some more investigating.

Dualie

Bigger crane and rigging has one here in Oakland. Its a monster. they even bolted a big IR diesel compressor to the back to supply air to their multi axle super load trailers.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Our company used to own several of the off-highway Macks, none that big however. Most were M-30-35 haul trucks along with several of the M-50-65 models and last and least were a couple of the "little" M-15 trucks.

One of the M-65's had a problem with a blown hose to the retarder while going down a steep hill fully loaded with a 90º left turn at the bottom. Truck did not make the turn but went nose first into a deep ditch. Knocked front axle out from under truck then did an end over flip into the ditch. Other than a few bumps and bruises driver walked away. We did bring truck to our shop and fixed it up and put it back in service. Took a long time as every time we got it part way together the plant it was from would call and say, "We need such and such" for one of the other trucks! Spent more time removing parts than installing them some weeks!

Truck Shop

That M100 belongs to the Mahan collection now, supposedly to be restored. Cost?????
434229967_854504176674294_5638085279524923431_n.jpg434289346_854504190007626_3497415728380950403_n.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I worked on a few of that one's little brothers overt he years. From little M15, M30, M35, M50 and the biggest the M-65's!

Back in those days the company that owned the quarry also owned a Mack dealership in Easton Pa. so the majority of the truck the used for many years were Macks of one kind or another. A lot of B models from B-42's right up to B-81's then DM and R models one F model and a couple Superliners. Some were over the road trucks but most off-highway.

Probably the biggest job was repairing a M-65 that did an end over flip loaded into a ditch. Don't recall if the same driver drove it after that accident. Was not exactly his fault as the truck had a failed retarder hose that burst just as he left the loading face to start down a steep road with a 90ºleft turn at the bottom and the Hough 400 loader was not fast enough to catch him and a lot of the equipment back then did not have CB radios.

Lucky they had strict seat belt rules so after they took him to the ER and everything checked out OK other than minor bruising I guess another driver and him spent some time with some self medication at a local bar.

Truck Shop

It sure would be interesting to know if the restoration of this truck and trailer is taking place!
Can figure--depending on how deep they go---because it will never be used---mostly
exterior, what can be seen--still I guess 4 to 5 years.

Truck Shop

A big one---but the M100 came with the tried and true Mack Bulldog 5 Speed manual.:)