• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What model is this mack?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
A big one---but the M100 came with the tried and true Mack Bulldog 5 Speed manual.:)
That M-100 Tuff-E-Nuff in the video has an Allison possibly a DP8000 or more likely 9000.
The two biggest clues are in the pictures:
That is very defiantly an Allison electric shift tower, I had to repair more than a few of them when the micro-switches in that box over on the right side started acting up!
Allison Electric shift.JPG

And then the label on the dash explaining the operation of the retarder make it more obvious.
View attachment 308724

cfherrman

I had the same shifter on my 4460. It's probably the same exact cylinder and selector valve.

The retarter on it looks like one on a Allison.

The guy in the video said it's not because it has a gated 6 speed shifter but I don't think that's a good way to guess the trans

Truck Shop

That M-100 Tuff-E-Nuff in the video has an Allison possibly a DP8000 or more likely 9000.
Probably so, I only have a book covering up to HT 740-HT 750 CRD. Don't have any bigger
coverage, setting on top of my V71-6-8-12-16 book.

kshansen

Occupation
I worked on one or two 8000's, most I did were 5860 or other very similar. Did one CLBT750 also in a M series Mack.

You have to be careful about those shift towers as on the outside they may all look the same but the side with all the little micro switches in it are wired different and have different cams to operate them.

One other thing that can catch you is the solenoid valves in the control valves. Besides some being 12 volt or 24 volt there was an update at one time where the solenoid valves became polarity sensitive! That caused major headaches with one truck as the local dealer was not aware of the difference and it took a lot of digging to find the service bulletin explaining that change!

kshansen

Occupation
I've thought those were air shifted
Trying to remember if I ever saw an Allison with air shift. Only thing close was many we had did have an air cylinder to work the retarder valve.

The earlier Macks and Euclids had good old shift cables to shift. Biggest problems with those was when cables got old and stiff. You could have trouble knowing what gear you were in or not fully engaging a gear which I'm sure caused some clutch problems. Plus there was no lock-out system so it might be possible to down shift at too high a speed. Don't recall a failure from that.

The electric shift control like in the picture above had a downshift inhibitor, that's the round part to the left of the shift lever. Just a big solenoid controlled by simple pressure switch on the transmission.

I never saw one but there were some models of that electric shift that were automatic shifting.

cfherrman

Every one I've saw has had an air shifter except the new ones like the 4500. Trans like the 4460's, Allison 750's.