• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What oil for Oliver OC-4 differential brake

cabosh

The other day I snapped a brake band on my 1959 OC-4 but I got it torn apart and got some new ones on but now I just need to know how much and what kind of oil I need to use once I put the rear cover back on. I don't have a manual for it so any help would be appreciated.

jeffrob

You need a plain mineral engine oil that has no additives or friction modifiers. I can't stress enough about making sure it has no friction reducing additives. If it does, your steering brakes will simply not work, as they rely on a high friction co-efficient to operate correctly. Most certainly do not use any hypoid type gearbox or differential oils, as not only will the brakes not work, but the oil attacks the bronze bushes in the diff and steering mechanism. You could also contact Landis Zimmerman to get the good poop on local brands and types.

TomA

As I recall from 50 years ago when I used to run Cletracs the manual called for 40W non-detergent oil in trans and rollers. TSC has it.