• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What size machine do I need?

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I've looked at bidding on a project that requires setting 84" x 8' long concrete pipe. The pipe has a weight of 19,000+ LBS from what I've been told, far more than any of my 210 size machines will pick up.

So what size machine do I need to look at renting for this size lifting and setting? Will a PC 300 or cat 330 be big enough for the job and do it safely or do I need to look at getting a PC400 or cat 345?

brandt pc400

Occupation
opearator
How deep will you be laying?
My 400 will pick it up but not far. maybe 6 or 12 ".
I had a run 60 or so feet at 15' deep and when i got to about 10 12 foot the 400 would fall on it's nose. And i was not stuck out vary far.

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
At 20' dead center over the front and at ground level you can lift ~25,000lbs with a 330C L.
If you try to go the extra 5' you are in the danger zone of 19,000lbs.

The weight you can lift is reduced as you get higher off the ground as well as futher away from the machine.

A 345C L on the other hand is good for ~33,000lbs at 20' over the front.
23,000lbs at 25'

While it can be done with a 330 as long as you are nice and close and can work over your idlers the whole time I'd recommend the 345 if you have to have anyone near the lift/down hole (especially if you have to do more than just one lift). Last thing you wanna do it tip over to drop the pipe on anyone/thing.

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
How deep will you be laying?
My 400 will pick it up but not far. maybe 6 or 12 ".
I had a run 60 or so feet at 15' deep and when i got to about 10 12 foot the 400 would fall on it's nose. And i was not stuck out vary far.

I think the bottom of the trench was going to be around 15' down, maybe a little more. I was planning on cutting the grade down before that way I would not have to set them so deep, then backfill back to original grade.

I think the plans called for 84" concrete for one creek and 60" for another one.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
Instead of getting a bigger machine just to set those pieces what about prepping a decent length of trench and the just having a truck come in and place them for you? In that situation when I delivered they'd prep enough for probably 4 pieces and then When I showed up I'd set them right off the truck. More if there's room to get a boomtruck in there along with a semi to haul more, if you could get 4 on the truck then 6 on a big trailer and the site was good I'd say it wouldn't take that long and it would cost a bunch less.

HeyUvaVT

chris no matter what you decide to do...you know that we will expect ALOT of pics and videos!

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
chris no matter what you decide to do...you know that we will expect ALOT of pics and videos!

Of course, I've never set any pipe bigger than 48" in concrete so it should be interesting. I've done 60" plastic and larger in metal but never in concrete.

I would like to get the chance to run a 345, I've never run anything of that size before.

gmads01

Responses are right that you will lose lift capacity the higher you are lifting. You won't be picking the pipe from ground level - 84" pipe plus lifting eye/cable and you're talking more like 13'-15' off the ground. You'd need a 345 sized machine with a shorter stick (11' vs. 12'10") and you'd have to have the bucket off but it would lift it and you'd be able to handle the pipe. You'd also have to lift them off the truck by reaching over the pipe and sticking your bucket into it vs. using a cable.

I'd second the suggestion to pre-dig the ditch and pick and set the pipe with a crane if possible. The pipe can be set in a single day so you'd only need a days rental on a crane/operator. If you can ramp out the end of your ditch, you drive a loader or dozer into the ditch to grade and push pipe home.

A third option is to consider shorter joints. Rental on a 330 is less than a 345 and 6' joints shouldn't be a problem for a 330.

JDOFMEMI

Having dug and set a lot of this size pipe, I would not even attempt it without at least a 45 ton machine. I have done a lot of it with a Cat 350, and you have to be close in. By the time you get your ditch down to grade, you will be too far away with a 330. Even if you pre bench, that makes it worse because you have to reach higher up to pick up the pipe by the trench. Unless you pre dig, go up top and set the pipe down, then go back down and do the final set. Way too much running around when the proper size machine will pick it and place it.
If you are renting, be sure to get the 11' stick as said above. the 12'10" will do it but with trouble, and I would not even attempt it with the 14' stick. Also best with a quick coupler so you can drop the bucket off when setting pipe, then put it back on to dig the next set.

reddot556

i would rent a komatsu 600, rent a trap bucket and a 96" bucket with side cutters and then hire me to get it done!:D

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I think I'm just going to go the cheap route, just ramp it down and roll them down in the trench and push them together with a bobcat:rolleyes:

Looking on getting some prices for a large machine.

Here are my choices

Volvo 460
Cat 345
Komatsu pc 400

Pecord Exc

Whatever you choose you are one lucky devil I would love to play with a machine that size, I have never been in anything larger than a 325!

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
you also have to think how you are going to get them off the truck

Lashlander

I think I'm just going to go the cheap route, just ramp it down and roll them down in the trench and push them together with a bobcat:rolleyes:

If you can pull it off, go for it. Keep in mind, if its not spelled out in the plans and the jobs done correctly its absolutely none of the inspectors business how its done.