• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

what was the hardest machine for you to learn?

surfer-joe

Yes, I'd almost forgotten the loading of trucks with a dragline. Some of those old operators were better at it than many of today's hydraulic excavator people.

72V

Occupation
grader, cat, excavator hack
I'd nominate a Bobcat skid steer loader for being one of the worst machines I've ever had to operate... two foot pedals that worked the bucket and boom and two hand levers to control the travel led to nothing but a bunch of slapping the ground and rocking back and forth. I stay away from them. :D

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I've only had about 3-4 hours on a dozer ever, I don't feel like I'm good with them at all. But, I had to jump on a Deere 650H the other day for about 15 minutes and I felt like if I had a good 4 or 5 days on the machine I could get pretty good with it. Case backhoes with a 3 lever and footswing are impossible for me too.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
This is an interesting thread. I'll agree and go further with what John C said in that operating a machine is one thing but being truly productive is another. Most of my brain scratching goes on estimating...quantities...how long and how much, managing the site while operating.

I've never seriously operated a Grader or dozer but I always look at all those levers in a grader and shake my head. Hardest thing I did was go from a yankem stick/foot pedals skid to pilot controls...Crikey, talk about uncoordinated. I'd never go back now but it was pretty different then.

I find I can jump in most machines and work them out without damaging anything...or anyone...to date. This machine was different to operate in the conditions but very satisfying:

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1400

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I'd nominate a Bobcat skid steer loader for being one of the worst machines I've ever had to operate... two foot pedals that worked the bucket and boom and two hand levers to control the travel led to nothing but a bunch of slapping the ground and rocking back and forth. I stay away from them. :D

That's me!!!I can do work with those cussed things but you can't make me like it!!LOL
I think the one I liked the most was a John Deere with T handle steering on it but only because I could run the Woods backhoe and move the machine around without changing my seating position.I hope I never have to run one enough to get good at it,but I am sure if they can save me some handwork my attitude would change:))
The problem really is that I never worked for a company that needed one for anything so I had very little exposure to them and my skill level on everything else did not translate very well to a skidsteer,especially since there was no standardization of controls.
To Roll Over Pete,if you could ever get enough time on the Case with the footswing I can just about promise you that you would like it.Those of us that have used them a lot will occasionally say that we prefer them over the other dominant patterns of the day.Since I quit smoking I am losing some of my argument for them but the foot swing frees up one hand long enough to take a pull on your pipe or whatever you happen to be abusing.Ron G

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Definitely, a friction/cable crane. The old timers that did it every day deserve all the respect that they can recieve in my view. I have a considerable amount of time on an old Lorain crane, a Bucyrus Erie 80D, and an old Poclain excavator that to this day, I still dream of how it could be now if the engineers of these mfg. companies didn't improve on the operator comfort and controls of these rigs nowadays. There probably wouldn't be a whole lot of new operators coming online if this weren't so.
The Poclain was a trick to run, kind of like the Bobcat skidsteer problems, and the Case hoe dilemma.You had to curl the bucket with your right foot.(Think about that one a second...) The only thing a man should use his feet for is to walk, not swing a boom.:D

Ross

Definitely, a friction/cable crane.
Yeah i agree. Old RB1100 cranes are a nightmare. Air controled.

My old man drove a M7500 and he said it was easy, But thats what they all say?

Second on the list would be a Grader. Piano player need only apply! :notworthy

Ross

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
I would also say a bobcat with foot pedals and yankem sticks for travel. When your used to running backhoe or wheel loader and having a stick in your hand your brain automatically thinks boom and bucket controls.

Myself cranes are not a problem I didn't run the famillies old P&H conventional crane much it was a bear to operate. Hyraulic operated frictions with worn out master cylinders. Watching dad run the crane was enough excersise you had to be like a octopus. I spent most of the time running hydraulic cranes and forklifts and being rigger for dad.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
RonG said:
...Since I quit smoking I am losing some of my argument for them but the foot swing frees up one hand long enough to take a pull on your pipe or whatever you happen to be abusing.

The reason I prefer the Case foot swing style hoe is that when you're pushing the machine forward with the hoe, you can reach back and steer the front end with that free hand. You can't do that with Deere style controls.

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
The reason I prefer the Case foot swing style hoe is that when you're pushing the machine forward with the hoe, you can reach back and steer the front end with that free hand. You can't do that with Deere style controls.

I beg to differ, my dear grim reaper...:cool2

atgreene

When I first used a wing on a truck I was a little confounded. Shifting a 10 speed road ranger, running a sander, using the wing with the front dustpan and trying not to hit anything on narrow roads took some getting used to.

Now it's second nature and I can brush something with the wing without breaking it. I just bought an Oshkosh so I'll be in for a new learning curve with that this winter. We'll see how the mailboxes fair.

Grader4me

When I first used a wing on a truck I was a little confounded. Shifting a 10 speed road ranger, running a sander, using the wing with the front dustpan and trying not to hit anything on narrow roads took some getting used to.

Now it's second nature and I can brush something with the wing without breaking it. I just bought an Oshkosh so I'll be in for a new learning curve with that this winter. We'll see how the mailboxes fair.

Ahhh...Welcome to my world! Mailboxes beware:eek: When you install a front plow and a wing on a truck along with running the sander and underslung if equipped..it most definately becomes a different animal. Good luck with your Oshkosh! Oh... keep a supply of mailboxes on hand...just in case:D

deeredude

we have mustangs with the T-handle and pedals and a new gehl track loader with bucket on the left and direction on the right joystick .gehl wins- no contest.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
I agree, I'm nothing but a hazzard in a new holland style controlls, or with the old t-bar gehls. I'm good with case and cat style. I actually prefer cat controlls cause i have a hand free some of the time, altho I think i'm faster with case. But watchout if im in a new holland, i will start to hop, the the bucket goes up and dumps.... ahh I hate them.

poulson01

It took a while for me to grade with a dozer but I pride myself on being a backhoe jockey. Anyone can run a backhoe but to get really good at it is rare. A backhoe in the right hands is an awesome machine.