• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Whats everyone's take on the CAT 308D CR SB?

CAT345D L

COPPA
Occupation
Work on my GF's farm want to be an equipment opera
My one good friend that owns his own small excavation company is looking at a new excavator he's thinking of a CAT 308D cr sb or kubota kx080-3. My question what one do you think is better? Me and him are big CAT fans, but he has a kubota kx161-3 and he loves it so thats whys he's considering kubota. Our cat dealer is a little ways away then the kubota dealer but getting parts for the kubotas can be a pain at times and both of us think the Cat dealer is alot better then kubota so that should play into it too. Please share some info guys.:drinkup

special tool

Have you run a new Kubota 80?
My friend Pete has one here, and I ran it for a few minutes last week, and let me tell you - it is one of the fastest, smoothest machines I have EVER run.
And I own a few Caterpillar machines, too.;)

The '06 kx121 that I borrowed last month was fast, too fast, but the '08 80
is an ASTOUNDING machine.

Go run it, then you will see - its like you are putting own hand in the sand.

CAT345D L

COPPA
Occupation
He had the kx080-3 on a demo last week and I ran if for about 30mins and it was everything i expected it to be quick and smooth. supose to have the cat next weekend for a demo hope for the same results. something tells me if the cat is everything we expect it to be (fast, smooth, and comfortable) then I think he will go yellow paint. not being biased or anything. roles eyes lol

9420pullpan

i ran a 308D SB nice machine, feels more like a mid to large excavator in stead of a mini. if you put a coupler or thumb on with long sticks unstable over the side.

CAT345D L

COPPA
Occupation
I dont think he's going for a long stick, but thumb is a must, should be fine then. glad to here you liked the 308.

strott

Occupation
Mini Excavator and dumper operator
Sounds like you guys want the CAT but feel that you better look at another option just because it the sensible thing to do!!!!

Be good to know what you think of the CAT and your final decision.

CAT345D L

COPPA
Occupation
Sounds like you guys want the CAT but feel that you better look at another option just because it the sensible thing to do!!!!

Be good to know what you think of the CAT and your final decision.

No doubt we will look at another machine, but ya CAT is our fav.:cool:

CAT345D L

COPPA
Occupation
My friend tested the cat yesterday and i got to run it a little after school, all i can say is that Kubota is alot better machine the hydro on the kubota is so much more smoother then the cat and so much more cheaper. We might have a problem though the biggest truck we got is a Pete 335 with 12' dump has a 21,000 rear axle and 12,000lb front and we have a eager beaver 10ton trailer that is 5880lbs and the new excavator is 18,000 i dont think we would be leagal.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
We might have a problem though the biggest truck we got is a Pete 335 with 12' dump has a 21,000 rear axle and 12,000lb front and we have a eager beaver 10ton trailer that is 5880lbs and the new excavator is 18,000 i dont think we would be leagal.

The truck is big enough to handle it, check the GCWR on the door. I am not familiar with how Eager Beaver rates it's trailers. Is a 10T trailer rated to carry 10T or do you have to subtract the trailer weight and add the tongue weight transferred to the truck to get an accurate trailer capacity?

CAT345D L

COPPA
Occupation
Im not sure how the GCWR works its a 33,000 GCWR so i was hoping someone here could help us out here. machine is 18,000lbs and trailer is 5880lbs dont know how much the truck weighs though.

CAT345D L

COPPA
Occupation
are pintle is only rated for 22,000lbs so its over the limit there not by much im going to talk to him later today see whats up. Its not that we need the 8ton machine it would just be nice to have. We might just go back to are original idea an get another kx161-3 or cat 305c cr

strott

Occupation
There isn't a major difference in size between the KX161-3 and KX080-3 so you may be better of with the 5 tonner which is still a nice machine to drive and leaves you with the carrying capacity to transport the machine with buckets e.t.c

CAT345D L

COPPA
Occupation
Well sorry i havent been on to tell ya whats up had a wedding to be in! anyway I think hes going the with a 5ton instead due to the weight maybe we will get one of those kitty cat 305c cr's! will keep u posted.

CatTractorDerek

Occupation
Construction Equipment Salesman
Cat 308d

I have a new CAT 308D at my Dealership in Riverside Ca. I demo'd it to a Komatsu Customer that bought a PC78 last year. They loved the hydraulic quick coupler and the fact you can change the hydraulic settings inside the cab. They also like the fact that when we brought the machine in we stocked the requirred items from CAT. Right now people everywhere are offering cheap machines, you have to watch out for this. CAT offers great prices, great support, and inhouse Tech support that no other dealer can match. So saving a few $$$$ up front buying a cheaper machine will cost you down the raod with down time, lack of parts support, available tech support and field service. My 308D SB sells for about $122K

kwnate

We demo'd the 308D with a long stick, thumb and quick connect. Obviously it was a little tippy over the side with a 48" bucket but you wouldn't expect it any other way right? It was a great machine, I loved the cab and it ran great.

We ended up with a volvo 88 set up the same as the cat, these machines are designed to get you into tight spots and allow you to work, when in a tight area the cat couldn't get tight enough to spin. The volvo was much better at this. We actually agreed and signed for the cat, but then the salesman said the manager declined the deal.

Volvo was very happy to work with us, 3 year 3000 hr warranty (Full). All scheduled services up to 2,000hrs onsite and about 12k below what cat wanted for the same thing. The cat has a better paintjob, better jackets, and better cab environment. At the end of the day, those don't mean Jack.

After having this machine for 5 months it has been great, its like having our old pc60 with the reach and capabilities of our ex120.

strott

Occupation
Its amazing how much of a difference in price there is between brands and no doubt between dealers of the same brand!!!!

JDMGrading

Wow....After seeing that price for the 308, I'm much happier I went ahead and bought the Deere 75D without shopping around.

caterpillar72

Occupation
N/A
sat on a 308DCRSB turned it on quite when throttle is low but on full throttle that mini ex is pretty loud even with cab door closed didnt get to operate it though

highgear1979

cat vs kubota

My one good friend that owns his own small excavation company is looking at a new excavator he's thinking of a CAT 308D cr sb or kubota kx080-3. My question what one do you think is better? Me and him are big CAT fans, but he has a kubota kx161-3 and he loves it so thats whys he's considering kubota. Our cat dealer is a little ways away then the kubota dealer but getting parts for the kubotas can be a pain at times and both of us think the Cat dealer is alot better then kubota so that should play into it too. Please share some info guys.:drinkup

I am looking at the two identical machines and so far cat is winning it is just alot of little features that make it more attractive to own for a long period of time. If you plan on only keeping the machine for a short life then either machine would be just fine thats just my opinion

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
Both great machines. What dealer treats you best after the sale is now the question in my mind...Pick the dealer that services the needs of your business best. It's what really matters at the end of the day...I run strictly CAT equipment based solely on the fact the CAT dealer cares about me and my machines more than any other of the equipment dealers in my area.

Last edited: