• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's this Detroit Diesel?

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
A big mineral explorer and mining contractor here, built his own road train hauling prime mover (truck tractor) in 1958 - using Twin 6-71's out of a General Grant (M3) tank!

This prime mover truck was the biggest truck ever produced in Australia - and it was totally "home-built", with not a single blueprint or engineering calculation ever made for it!
It was produced using chalk outline plans drawn on Masonite sheets on the workshop floor of D.F.D. Rhodes contracting.

Don Rhodes was a multi-millionaire mineral explorer, mining contractor and investor, and he owned a manganese mine way out in the boondocks of the North West of W.A.

This mine is called the Woodie Woodie mine, and the manganese ore needed to be hauled to the nearest port at Port Hedland so it could be shipped to overseas buyers.

It's around 350kms (217 miles) from the mine to the port, and in 1958, there was no decent road between the mine and the port, it was just a goat track over largely flat semi-desert.
So the idea was to haul 2 trailers and pull about 200 tons gross of manganese ore at a time with this rig.

The road today is a fully sealed major highway, and if you use Google Street View, you can probably pick up the 4-trailer road trains currently using it.

The truck was called the "Rhodes-Ridley", because Don Rhodes financed it, and his workshop supervisor, Harold Ridley was the "brains trust" who designed it, and oversaw its construction - from scratch!

Just about every single part of the truck was handbuilt, apart from the engines, transmission and diffs, which all came from the M3 tank!

Unfortunately, local traffic laws changed just as the truck was finished, and as the truck was 11 feet 8 inches wide, it was deemed too wide to allow it on any public road!

8 feet was the maximum vehicle width allowed in those days - so the truck never got to do any ore haulage, and so it was fitted with two large gensets on its back for mine site power, and it was used to move crushers around the minesite as required.

The Rhodes Ridley was effectively abandoned and left to decay, until a few guys got together and decided to save it and restore it in the mid-1990's.
The restoration was funded by the Rhodes family, and it took several years to restore it.
But now she's back to her original glory and she regularly entertains truck and machinery lovers at shows all over the S.W. of W.A.

Last edited:

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I enjoy your posts, Mr. OzDozer.
Some how we drifted from old graders to Australian Mad Max prime movers. And it’s awesome.

Just want you to know two days ago I saw a vehicle that will haul that tanker.

Truck Shop

Enough of that detroit stuff.

Once upon a time there was this guy with too much ambition. He had a design in his head and
a few scribblings on paper with a few measurements. He had no help, he wanted no help.
He constructed a frame from scratch plus all the crossmembers, designed it for outside frame
power steering. Completely rebuilt the inside of cab and changed 90% of that. Built the hood
and fender extensions from scratch with no real plans. Clutch linkage right down to the hand
made square tube mirror brackets. Powered by a Cummins not a Mack or a Cat or a Detroit.
The only long hood B model on the planet that's 78" from cowl to grille, which he also made
along with the custom stainless bumper he polished from raw. Incorporated electric wipers
which are timed. So many little parts and pieces made from scratch because Mack never built
a long hood B. Just one of his many endeavors along his life's rocky road. And he is proud of it.

100_1675.JPG100_1672.JPG100_1674.JPG

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
That Mack surely is a labour of love and a work of art. It's amazing the skills and dedication of some people.
Of course, that hood looks long enough to hold a 16V-71!! ;)