• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Whats wrong with my top roller?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The roller flanges are hitting the pins meant the groove in the roller is worn in and the height of the rail is worn down
See the contact between the track roller flange and the boss on the end of the track link (Circled RED) in the first photo. That contact and the wear shown by the RED arrows on the pin bosses is caused by worn track rollers and by wear on the surface of the track links. You can see where metal is being extruded from the rail surface of the links, the area in the BLUE square being just one example.

1688677751775.png

Oxbow

I'm a bit surprised that the sprockets aren't any worse than they are considering the wear on the rollers. It makes me wonder if someone many hours ago replaced the chain and sprockets without replacing the rollers/idlers.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
If you don't know much about undercarriage, you sure are in for a steep learning curve with that tractor.
You've got the choice of either parting it out real soon, or spending a large amount of dollars on all new undercarriage.
You may also need new track recoil springs, which are hidden under those track cover guards.

Tyler d4c

If you don't know much about undercarriage, you sure are in for a steep learning curve with that tractor.
You've got the choice of either parting it out real soon, or spending a large amount of dollars on all new undercarriage.
You may also need new track recoil springs, which are hidden under those track cover guards.
A wise fellow once told me when buying a track machine your manly buying a undercarriage. He's not wrong

Welder Dave

Could have just had the sprocket segments changed at some point. There's fairly easy to change and not the big ticket items. A complete undercarriage could be in the $10,000 range or more so be prepared. Can't tell what the track pads are like. Hopefully they're OK and still tight. Then they can be reused but you should use new nuts and bolts. They need to be tightened with the torque turn method. This is very important so they stay tight. Once they come loose are hard if not impossible to keep tight.

Voodooburner

I will part it before I drop 10k on a farm machine that sees less than hours a year usage. Trek won’t call me back.

Voodooburner

probably 50 at best certainly never more than 75. I typed it in the last post but it isn’t there now. Weird

Voodooburner

I will get pics of track pads, they look tight and nearly new to me But I don’t know what I am looking for

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
probably 50 at best certainly never more than 75. I typed it in the last post but it isn’t there now. Weird
With that number of hours/year a replacement carrier roller for the failed one and maybe a few track rollers (probably at least a front one on each side) might get you 5-10 years of operation.

Need some photos of the other side and some of the track links & bushes from underneath to see what it looks like.

Oxbow

With that number of hours/year a replacement carrier roller for the failed one and maybe a few track rollers (probably at least a front one on each side) might get you 5-10 years of operation.

Need some photos of the other side and some of the track links & bushes from underneath to see what it looks like.
Agreed. It doesn't look as if the chain has worn so much that the pitch is causing the bushings to climb the sprocket teeth, so just to get it rolling freely may not be too bad as far as cost goes.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
You can trim a little (say about 1/4") off the roller flanges carefully with the gas axe (not getting them too hot), and that will stop the flanges from hitting the pin bosses.

When the roller flanges are hitting the pin bosses, this loosens the pins in the links, and makes the pins start to work their way out of the links.

In addition, roller flanges hitting the pin bosses makes for a rough ride in the seat.

Voodooburner

The other side

Attachments

• C1413D70-7A46-4B84-9732-539E01789250.jpeg
    C1413D70-7A46-4B84-9732-539E01789250.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 40
  • A8314BD8-C2F1-4CF2-9469-06AA32454BB2.jpeg
    A8314BD8-C2F1-4CF2-9469-06AA32454BB2.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 39
  • 2EFBF877-576F-4365-B227-40FE5A61FC2B.jpeg
    2EFBF877-576F-4365-B227-40FE5A61FC2B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 40

Welder Dave

Top carrier is shot but doesn't appear the roller flanges are hitting the bosses yet but close. Tracks looks a little tight which likely contributed to the top carriers wearing out so bad. Track should have about 2 inches drop at the lowest point between carrier roller and idler using a straight edge on the top.

Voodooburner

I think I have to remove the grease fitting on the adjuster to loosen the tracks, probably under quite a bit of pressure. Off to look at my repair manual

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I don't know about Trek, but you can try calling Ryan Hutto at Track Hutt, he has taken pretty good care of me before. I think he is in Georgia.